Please help me find a power amp

DeimosNZ

Feb 10, 2008
Visit site
I have a Music First Audio classic Mk II passive Preamp. I had initially planned to pair it with active speakers but after numerous trials with the likes of Quad, ADAM, Genelec and ATC speakers I have come to the conclusion active probably isn't for me. I like my music with a dollop of warmth which seems to come more readily from passve speakers.

So I have just been through months of speaker trials and I am down to a short list which includes the Harbeth SHL-5 and the Sonus Faber Cremona M Auditor. Both of which I have listened to several times. I like both the Harbeth and the SF but I slightly prefer the SF (it has a certain je ne sais quoi although the Harbeth also has it's charms). I am restricted to standmounts due to room size constraints.

I have used my Dussun V8i integrated for the comparisons but prefered both speakers with slightly warmer amps (Copland/Manley) which will be out of my budget for a while (budget probably around 2k GBP). Current source is a Caiyin CD player and a Squeezebox Touch into Xindak DAC (which will all be upgraded as funds permit).

Can anyone suggest some power amps (or monoblocks) I should trial? Balanced inputs would be a bonus.

I can get very good prices on the Usher R-1.5, MBL 8006A and TRIODE TRX-P6L Reference (but wouldn't be able to listen) if anyone has any experience with these amps.

My music preferences are pretty wide - so I am looking for something versatile. Solid state preferred (as I usually forget to turn things off when I go out/to bed etc).

Cheers

Golly640

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
My Cyrus Mono Bloc X300's astounded me when I added them to my system. Perhaps not at the budget you want but the 200's also sounded good when I tested them.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
My choices would be, with your set up and requirements, in no particular order;

Croft, LFD or Sugden, saw one of these recently second hand for less than 2K.

Mac

DeimosNZ

Feb 10, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for giving me some options. Lavardin, Croft, Modwright and Sugden are all on my current list.

Speakers have about 40 hours on them now and the sound is still changing.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
DeimosNZ said:
Macspur said:
Which speakers did you settle for in the end?

Mac

I went for the Sonus Faber Cremona Auditor M. Just waiting for it to break in

Just as a matter of interest, why did you choose SF over the Harbeth's?

You will have a fine system once you've added one of the aforementioned power amps.

Mac

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
DeimosNZ said:
Macspur said:
Which speakers did you settle for in the end?

Mac

I went for the Sonus Faber Cremona Auditor M. Just waiting for it to break in

Good choice.

Your list of amps is also excellent, and I would add Musical Fidelity AMS 35P, if it fits in your budget (and you can find one ex-dem).

McIntosh is also a possibility.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts