Help me find more air / clarity / edge ?

llatsni

Aug 15, 2016
Visit site
First post for a long time lurker...

My system is as follows:
Raspberry Pi with IQAudio Pi-Dac+ > Atlas Element interconnect > Sugden A21a > Atlas Hyper 2.0's > Neat Motive SX3's

Up to recently I was running Rega RS1's - which I loved, but were lacking some low end when paired with the Sugden. The SX3's sound like much bigger speakers (they're not) with much more low end extension, however they seem to be missing some 'edge'. I'm not sure which adjective to go for here, but it's in the air, top-end, clarity realm; they're possible a bit too smooth? Now I am aware that perhaps it's just revealing a lack in my source dac (TI PCM5122) so I have another on the way (Sabre 9023) and a better PSU... HOWEVER: is there anything else I should try to improve things? Cables??

Paul

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
The biggest effect on changing the sound would be the speakers (something like Triangle or Focal, both of which are very sensitive, airy and lively sounding, with bite....especially Triangle). Proac are also a known match with Sugden.

If you can, experiment with different Sources....maybe something from Cyrus.

If you are a lurker, you will know the effect of mentioning cables. FWIW. My view is that you have to get the basic system mostly right....then experiment with cables at different prices, to fine tune. Chord and QED have a more forward presentation. Atlas are pretty good as you go up the food chain and Telurium Q are also worth a look.

BTW. Welcome to the forum.

llatsni

Aug 15, 2016
Visit site
Ha, yes it was perhaps somewhat foolish of me to mention cables!

Thing is I *really* like the Motives... best so far with the Sugden by miles, but I haven't had the pleasure of Proacs... I'll put the feelers out for a bargain.

I will definitely try get my hands on some other quality sources for testing.

thewinelake.

Jan 22, 2016
Visit site
Where are you based? Maybe you just need to listen to a wider range of kit to see if anyone else has found what you're looking for. It might even come down to considering (dare I say it?) active speakers!

llatsni

Aug 15, 2016
Visit site
I'm in Dublin, Ireland - a wasteland for accomodating hifi shops.

My previous experience with active speakers has not won me over to them, granted they were mostly a selection of Adam monitors from my studio days. I still have a set of the small A5's to cover the tiny bit of recording I still do... but I suspect quality active hifi speakers would be a bit more flattering than the Adams?

Overall - don't get me wrong here - this combo is nearly perfect for me - I'm just trying to put the final polish on it.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Given your choice of equipment, it is hardly a surprise that the overall result is 'super smooth'. It is fairly obvious from your posts that you like what you have and would prefer not to change but I would be inclined to speak to Neat and see if thay can suggest a simple tweek to the crossover to lift the tweeter output by a dB or two?

I have not spoken to Bob and his crew in many years but they were always most helpful in the past.

The only other sensible solution I can think of is an add on supertweeter, simplest option would be something with variable hi-pass filter and sensitivity, like this.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/322223176368?lpid=122&chn=ps&googleloc=9045943&poi=&campaignid=620865095&device=c&adgroupid=27378760866&rlsatarget=pla-181484321826&adtype=pla&crdt=0

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
llatsni said:
I'm in Dublin, Ireland - a wasteland for accomodating hifi shops.

I found Cloney Audio excellent. Good kit and straightforward, honest advice.

A couple of hours in the car brings you to Belfast, where you have Lyric...and the Euro is very strong at the moment.

Kronos HiFi is in Dungannon and stock Triangle.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts