Help me choose a NAS device

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I'm planning to buy a new network hard drive to which I will (wirelessly) connect a Logitech Squeezebox Duet. I really don't need fancy stuff (like the RipNAS or AVA RS3), just a silent (fanless if possible), reliable and always accessible (even when PC is turned off) drive.

It seems that some (more expensive) NAS solutions come with Logitech's Slimserver pre-installed but is that necessary in order to run it successfully?

Thanks in advance

emotion-5.gif

Andy H

Nov 14, 2007
Visit site
Hi, I would check on the squeeze box forums as I believe quite a few NAS drives have probs with slimserver. (A lot more experience than me). They do give a guideline to install it yourself which I looked at some easier than others.
I have a buffalo linkstation and the instructions for that was very complicated for me!!!!

Good luck with your search.

Ant8519

Mar 15, 2008
Visit site
My advice is to run the Duet off your pc for awhile. This is because getting a suitable nas is not cheap and in my experience (I use Duet with a qnap ts109) not easy to set up.

I have seen a new eee pc product in the offing called the eee nas d200 (http://www.gadgetvenue.com/asus-eee-pc-d200-nas-router-01094058/) and it is a nas with built in router and a dvd drive to rip your cd's. It seems the ready made solution to the Duet and in my opinion worth waiting for as it provides so much more than the currently available otions. As it is powerful and has a touch screen interface I reckon setup will be a deal easier than the average too

Good luck with your Duet

Tonya

Sep 9, 2008
Visit site
Not sure it's the one you are looking for, but here in Scandinavia I bought a MyWorld external HDD, made by Wetsrn Digital. You just connect it to your wireless router with a short network cable, then any laptop or device that's using that wireless router can "see" the MyWorld drive and also (with permission) see all the drives on the host PC and anything that's plugged into the USB port on the MyWorld. The cool thing is that as long as the MyWorld is powered up, you can access it from anywhere in the world you may be, as long as you log into the MyWorld website first. As soon as you do, the HD icon pops up just as if it's plugged into the PC you are using. Neat if you're half way around the globe and you've forgotten that file, song or film that you should have brought with you!

You can pick up a MyWorld with a terrabyte of storage for £150 and the 500 Gbyte model for about £100.

A

Anonymous

Thanks
emotion-1.gif

In fact I'm starting to think that a QNAP TS 209 - II (from ripcaster.co.uk) might just be what I need. It's not exactly cheap but it comes with Squeezecenter pre-installed...

How silent is your QNAP TS 109?

Best regards!

Northutsire

Jan 6, 2008
Visit site
I have a QNAP TS 209-II that I use to run Squeezecenter for my Duet. Whilst I'm satisfied with it I think a 109-II would have suited my purposes and it has the advantage of being silent. The 209-II's fan is quiet but was noticeable enough for me to install it in the attic.

Installation of Squeezecenter was pretty straightforward (using instructions from the Ripcaster site) and SSOTS. Help is available on both the Slimdevices and Qnap websites.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
I know this doesn't exactly help but this is one of the advantages of Sonos, it requires no server-side software at all, all it needs is a CIFS-compatible share (which is pretty much every NAS made). Granted the Sonos is a lot more money than Squeezebox but then you could save a bit with a cheaper NAS, so swings and roundabouts really.

A

Anonymous

Have a look at the LaCie Networkspace. It includes a DLNA-compliant media server (Twonky) as well as an iTunes-compliant one (Firefly, I think).

Andy H

Nov 14, 2007
Visit site
the_lhc:I know this doesn't exactly help but this is one of the advantages of Sonos, it requires no server-side software at all, all it needs is a CIFS-compatible share (which is pretty much every NAS made). Granted the Sonos is a lot more money than Squeezebox but then you could save a bit with a cheaper NAS, so swings and roundabouts really.

Couldn't agree more. Just got my Sonos and it was easy to set up with the Buffalo Linkstation.

Ant8519

Mar 15, 2008
Visit site
I also agree - you have to look at the total cost and exactly how you will use the device.

For me sonos was not ideal due to the cost even with the cheaper nas drive options. However the clincher was that the sonos was white and didn't fit with the other av equipment and the gf preferred the look of the duet!

RE: the ts-109 - it isn't completely silent but it is very quiet as it is fanless. You can hear the hard drive spin occasionally though. As it needs to be ethernet wired to your router then a lot will depend on where your router is located in relation to your listening room...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts