Help identifying speakers?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hey

I've recently come into some speakers that my parents had left lying around. They're not really sure where they came from, but I was wondering if you guys could give me a bit more info on them? Whether threy're worth using in a begginner hi-fi setup? I haven't bought an amp yet. I've tried googling the model number (Sony SS-G1), and none of the versions look like my speakers. The faceplate cannot be removed, here's a photo, with CD for scale:

http://imgur.com/Sst1j

Thanks

I'd take a guess that they are from a 'music centre' system, and if the wires leading from the speaker cabinet are captive (i.e. you cannot remove them from a terminal) then that is very likely their provenance.

They probably fall short of what you might reasonably call hi-fi, so I'd suggest getting something modest secondhand if funds are tight. Unless you know they work I'd not risk a new amplifier with them in case one or both speakers are damaged - a decent dealer should give them a quick checkover if you asked nicely (and buy something!).

Good luck, and welcome to the forum.

Rob998

Nov 19, 2008
Visit site
They look like TV surround sound speakers to me, from a Trinitron CRT with Dolby Pro Logic?

EDIT: ah sorry, missed the bit about the CD for scale, so too big for Surround Sound jobbies. So as mentioned earlier, probably from a mini/midi system or similar.

theexcitableboy

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
Definitely look like "something that came with something". As previously mentioned I doubt they'd really be what you'd call 'hi-fi'. I had some very very similar looking Sony speakers that came with an old all-in-one. I actually kind of liked that system, but somehow some pastry crumbs got in the CD changer and it was never quite the same after that.

Anyway, It doesn't take too much money these days to get something sounding good. If you want to begin your hifi journey, some demos at a hifi store to get a rough idea of how things stand would be a good idea.

Joseph :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts