Help.... I want to stream Spotify to an old stereo amp.

Pistolpete1

Oct 9, 2020
Visit site
Not really looked much into this yet. Previously been using a chromecast through my AV receiver, but resurrected an old hifi amp recently, and much prefer what it does with stereo (cd's, and hopefully spotify).

So what are my choices with a budget of around £100? I stream from my phone or tablet.

I have noticed the Ifi zen air blue, and the Auris blumMe HD... Both of which work with Bluetooth.

Any other alternatives? Anything that uses WiFi, rather than Bluetooth?

Tinman1952

Ok, but my point/question is will using such devices give a reduction in sound quality at all?
WiFi is obviously preferable to bluetooth as it is not a 'lossy' compressed carrier and can play lossless and Hi-res files.
Your chromecast is obviously WiFi but Spotify is currently a 'lossy' service. So using these type of devices will not give you a reduction in sound quality. You obviously prefer the sound of your HiFi amp to that of your receiver so it should be an improvement.

Pistolpete1

Oct 9, 2020
Visit site
Unfortunately my chromecast is not the audio version, which seem to take big money on ebay as they are no longer available.

So WiFi is favoured it seems, so do I pay over the odds for a chromecast audio, or buy on echo dot, as suggested above (currently my house is a Google home one)?

Or is there another way to use WiFi based streaming on a budget?

Tinman1952

Unfortunately my chromecast is not the audio version, which seem to take big money on ebay as they are no longer available.

So WiFi is favoured it seems, so do I pay over the odds for a chromecast audio, or buy on echo dot, as suggested above (currently my house is a Google home one)?

Wiim mini......🙄
It has Spotify Connect built in.

DiggyGun

Mar 2, 2021
Visit site

I’m not familiar with Google Home One, but can you connect to your and stream from that?

daveh75

I mean my house is operated by Google products. There is no such thing as a Google home one 👍

For a household invested in the Googleverse, a good, but slightly left field choice would be the Xiaomi Mi Box S.

Yes it's a video streamer, but running Android TV it has "Chromecast built in" support.

With the aid of an "HDMI Dummy" it can be used as a "headless" audio streamer, and with a combined 3.5mm analogue/optical out it basically replicates the original CCA.

John Darko covered it on his blog/YT channel and rather liked it, I seem to recall.

record_spot

Get yourself an Arylic S10, that'll give you a RCA phono line out to your amp. Try to get an ethernet line to the S10 from your router, and then just select Spotify from the many streaming services available. The Arylic is about £60, sounds bloody brilliant and better than the Echo Dot (which I also have - great for the Today programme in the morning, but I'd maybe not want it in the stereo).

I have one, rate it highly and use it often for news, internet radio (it comes with the excellent vtuner internet radio service) and, indeed, Spotify. Sound quality is excellent.

Pistolpete1

Oct 9, 2020
Visit site
Thanks everyone...I ended up buying a 3.5 mm to RCA lead and using an unused echo dot found in my girlfriends house to stream to my amp.

The SQ is adequate....but nothing compared to my Marantz KI cd player.

Pistolpete1

Oct 9, 2020
Visit site
Since my last comment on here, I have become more and more unimpressed with the echo dot in terms of sound quality that I started researching alternative ways to stream.

Today an Ifi zen air blu arrived. Yes I know it is Bluetooth but it had so many positive customer reviews I decided to go for it.....

And I have to say it sounds so much better than the echo dot, but slightly off the pace of my Marantz CD player.

I find myself tapping my feet along more, so it is giving a great first impression.

I'm using LDAC from my Google Pixel 7 using Spotify. I'm impressed, but am aware of the limitations spotify has in terms of bit rate.

If I subscribe to another provider with a higher bit rate will the sound improve further, or am I just hearing the result of the performing DAC in the Ifi unit?

Reactions: nopiano

Witterings

I bought 2 when Currys had them on offer for £15 each (returned them for a refund but that's another story).

Wish I'd have bought Currys entire stock back then....who could have predicted the current stupid prices?

I know I can have look on e-bay but off the top of your head, any idea approx what they go for?

I've 3 sitting around, one of which I only broke the seal on the box to test it whilst on the phone to Chromecast support and apart from that it's never been used.

Today an Ifi zen air blu arrived. Yes I know it is Bluetooth but it had so many positive customer reviews I decided to go for it.....

And I have to say it sounds so much better than the echo dot, but slightly off the pace of my Marantz CD player.

Not sure why you didn't go with the WiiM mini which was suggested a couple of times as it seemed to tick the boxes of wjat you were looking for.

manicm

If your budget can afford it, I'd wait a while and look at the NAD CS1. I'd recommend the much cheaper Wiim Mini but assuming your amp is all analogue, I may not trust the Wiim's DAC.

The NAD costs more because it has a better DAC and you should be able to connect through RCA with confidence.

The ifi blue Zen mentioned by a few here is also a good choice albeit Bluetooth. Heard only good things.

Witterings

On another forum, someone mentioned a figure of £100 (could anyone want one that badly?)

Cheers for that ... I guess the only reason someoen may pay that is say you already had 2 and wanted to add a 3rd zone for multiroom or something as it'd be a lot cheaper than buy 3 other streamers ... but yes I agree with you seems a lot.

Shame they discontinued them instead of making then better / higher bitrate and resolution.

Reactions: WayneKerr and Gray

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts