Help - I need an upgrade

corkdood

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
Hi

I am a lifelong music fan but have never spent a whole lot on hardware for playing my treasured music collections.

My current setup is about ten years old and comprises the following

Sony ST-SE370 tuner

Pioneer A-204R amp (damaged balance is messed up higher volume on one channel than the other)

Technics SL-PG370A

Mission 732 speakers

Ideally I would ike to keep the tuner and speakers but am open to suggestions

I listen to a lot of radio as well as cds and listen to 80s and 90s commercial chart music mostly. I like a warm analogue type sound with a wide stereo image.

I have read good reviews about nad amps and cd players but realise these are entry level gear. I would be willing to pay up to £500 per component and would like the best I can afford so that I really notice a difference compared to my current system.

Over to you.......

A

Anonymous

Not all nad stuff is entry level.You can get seriously good nad cd players and amps from about £300 upwards.They would sound amazing compared to your current gear.The pioneer amp you have would be outclassed by a £150 amp now so nad would be worth considering.I would be inclined to spend about £350 on an amp, £350 on cd player and about same on speakers.The missions were good in their day but are a bit past it and you should consider replacing them. The tuner is fine for an analogue tuner.No point changing it unless you want to go digital

I would look at rotel,marantz,nad and cambridge audio for amps and same again but also arcam for cd players.That lot offer the best sound per pound just now i think

Speakers wise i would look at b&w 6 series and monitor audio silver series.

corkdood

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
Thanks for the advice. I partly guessed that most of my gear was out of date.

Looking at the whathifi award winners for 2007 if I was to pair B&W 685 speakers with a Rotel RA04 amp and Marantz CD6002 would this be a good combination?

A

Anonymous

[quote user="corkdood"]
Thanks for the advice. I partly guessed that most of my gear was out of date.

Looking at the whathifi award winners for 2007 if I was to pair B&W 685 speakers with a Rotel RA04 amp and Marantz CD6002 would this be a good combination?

[/quote]

I think so.
But like you said, you are open to spending £500 per component. With that kinda money, I'd be more adventurous. I'd look at Arcam. If you don't mind second hand route. Look at eBay. I hear you can get good deals on Arcam gear there. Arcams are reputed to be soft and very musical. If you like kicking drums, pair a Rotel C06 with a power amp of your choice. Rotel RB06 or Rotel RB-1050/1070.
My final word would be a Cyrus 6 setup. They would be slightly above the budget, but then the sound justifies the price.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts