Help for changing speakers for compromised position

Jorge

Apr 9, 2020
Visit site
I am looking for a substitute for my B&W DM 220 speakers, my amplifier in a Denon PMA 920 of 105 w or 8 ohms, I attach photographs of the position of the speakers in the room, the gap available for each speaker is, 34 inch high, 21 inch wide and 23 inch deep approximately, my budget is 1800 pounds and I do not rule out second hand material

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    197.4 KB · Views: 28
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    242.4 KB · Views: 29
D

Deleted member 108165

Maybe a sealed box design with no bass ports. I bought some Harbeth P3's this year and couldn't be more pleased with them, they are available second hand in your budget and are usually well cared for.

matthewpiano

Sealed box/infinite baffle is certainly a direction well worth considering, and is likely to offer you the best performance given the positioning considerations.

One other consideration is about priorities. Correct me if I'm wrong, but that looks like a 21:9 aspect ratio TV, rather than the usual 16:9 format. Do you really need this screen width, or could you replace the TV with a 16:9 one and potentially free up height for stand mounted or compact floorstanding speakers?

Jorge

Apr 9, 2020
Visit site
Sealed box/infinite baffle is certainly a direction well worth considering, and is likely to offer you the best performance given the positioning considerations.

One other consideration is about priorities. Correct me if I'm wrong, but that looks like a 21:9 aspect ratio TV, rather than the usual 16:9 format. Do you really need this screen width, or could you replace the TV with a 16:9 one and potentially free up height for stand mounted or compact floorstanding speakers?

You are right, the television is the philips 9000 with a 21: 9 format but given the investment made when I bought it, my wife would not allow me to change it, I have to make do with what there is, given its weight, hanging it would be very difficult with the quality of the walls of modern buildings

D

Deleted member 116933

Think you have asked this question before, or at least remember your setup from somewhere.

anyhow to the mater in hand.

TBH this is a clear case for a soundbar or a pair of active speakers

No speaker is going to sound good in that space you're not getting any stereo image, its so compromised its to close together, I suspect its just a wall of sound! So you might as well go for a really nice bar.

For far far less than 1800 you can get the sonos arc/beam or for 1k a pair play 5's they are designed to work pretty much in all positions as they are tuned to the room. In all honesty, you will probably end up with better sound. with less clutter in a small space. And yes you can still play your legacy gear through them, just need a little box, they used to call it a bridge think its known as something else now.

Or if you really want to push the boat out look at the Mu-so 2nd Generation (the bar no the box) very very impressive sound and has and HDMI port in the newer version. and has room compensation as well very neat and tidy

sound like your wife will love it.

Jorge

Apr 9, 2020
Visit site
I have finally bought the ATC SMC 11 V2 and I have obtained the type of sound I was looking for, they adapt perfectly to my musical tastes and do not present problems for their location, thank you very much for your invaluable help.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts