Help! Dropped my sub now it hums ( and not a tune or a smell either! )

indyjase

Oct 6, 2009
Visit site
Hi There, I have a problem with my sub (paradigm sevo 15 v.1) I was moving the sub around and I dropped it from about a foot onto its rear, where the input jack and heatsink are.The only external damage seems to be a very slightly bent heatsink blade. Now when I turn the sub on there is a hum which I can turn up or down with the volume control but no signal from the reciever. When I disconnect the sub cable the hum is gone. I tried connecting the sub cable to another sub and it works fine and I tried a bunch of different cables just to be sure. I then checked inside to see if anything had been disloged or unconnected. Nope everything lokks fine. Then I connected the speaker to another sub and that was ok as well. I thought that maybe resoldering the input jack might do the trick but no luck there. I came across this on the internet and this seems to be my problem to a "T" I am indeed a little lost at this point so if someone could explain it that would be a great help

"There was a slight hum when it was turned
on but there was no output of the input signal. If the shield of the
rca cable was touched, the hum increased slightly. I thought the
input rca jacks looked familiar from a repair I did years ago where
there was no continuity from the shield to solder tab.. Some how the
plate and the shield of the rca jacks connect to separates from the solder
tab. Without destroying the jack assy., it is impossible to see what
breaks. Running a wire from the shield plate to the connection
underneath the circuit board repaired the amp."

Normally at this point I would say ****** it and get it repaired but the wife being practical ( as opposed to me Hmmm cables or dinner this week...yup cables it is lol!!!) has said no more money for a while on home cinema stuff so the only way to get this up and running againg is to repair it myself. So I pray to the gods of home cinema for a solution. Many thanks in advance Jase. I can also PM a schematic if thats a help.

indyjase

Oct 6, 2009
Visit site
Well I tried resoldering the input jack and attaching a wire from the jack to the underside of the PCB where it connects and yay it fired back to life. Now I might have a bash at building a tactile transducer with my spare sub!!!!:dance:

indyjase

Oct 6, 2009
Visit site
Well I tried resoldering the input jack and attaching a wire from the jack to the underside of the PCB where it connects and yay it fired back to life. Now I might have a bash at building a tactile transducer with my spare sub!!!!:dance:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts