Help connecting amp to ps4

LonsdaleMBM

Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
Hi,

I'm wondering if forum members might be able to help me please - I've tried to research this but have got myself in a bit of bother. I am trying to get my PS4 to play out of my speakers. I have a Samsung ue46b7020 tv, Cambridge Audio Azur651A amp and recently purchased a PS4.

When I had a PS3, I used the AV multi output cable but PS4 doesn't have this.

My amp doesn't have optical out or HDMI. Can anyone please tell me what cables I need to use?

Thanks for any help

David

You need a digital to analogue converter(dac)to convert the digital signal from ps4 to an analogue one to the amp as your amp...I'm assuming has no digital input.optical cable out from ps4 to the dac and rca from the dac to one of the line level inputs of the amp.I have used my arcam ir dac for this in the past mainly for the Spotify connect features and it works a treat, but I reckon you'll be looking for something a bit less expensive.have a wee browse on eBay for an idea of what you can get within budget,also just in case you have one lying around...a av amp will accept a digital signal from the ps4 without the need for any additional dac's..

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
LonsdaleMBM said:
Hi,

I'm wondering if forum members might be able to help me please - I've tried to research this but have got myself in a bit of bother. I am trying to get my PS4 to play out of my speakers. I have a Samsung ue46b7020 tv, Cambridge Audio Azur651A amp and recently purchased a PS4.

When I had a PS3, I used  the AV multi output cable but PS4 doesn't have this.

My amp doesn't have optical out or HDMI. Can anyone please tell me what cables I need to use?

Thanks for any help

David

Plug the PS4 via HDMI into the tv, then the tv into the amp via the analog-out on th tv using the red/yellow/white to 3mm Jack adapter, you'll need a pair of interconnects from adapter to amp.

Connect only the red/white.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
The PS4 outputs audio digitally over Toslink or HDMI.

The latter connects directly to your TV with both sound and vision, this is a digital connection and should be plug and play.

The Toslink output is also digital but audio only, the 651A amplifier has a built in dac but not one that accepts a digital input as delivered by Toslink, it is strictly usb type 2 only.

Simplest solution is an inexpensive dac with Toslink in and analogue out, can be bought for as little as £20 plus cables.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Thompsonuxb said:
LonsdaleMBM said:
Hi,

I'm wondering if forum members might be able to help me please - I've tried to research this but have got myself in a bit of bother. I am trying to get my PS4 to play out of my speakers. I have a Samsung ue46b7020 tv, Cambridge Audio Azur651A amp and recently purchased a PS4.

When I had a PS3, I used the AV multi output cable but PS4 doesn't have this.

Thanks for any help

David

Plug the PS4 via HDMI into the tv, then the tv into the amp via the analog-out on th tv using the red/yellow/white to 3mm Jack adapter, you'll need a pair of interconnects from adapter to amp.

Connect only the red/white.

Providing the TV has analogue outputs. Not familiar with the TV in question but if it does have analog outs, it is performing the same job as the dac I mentioned above, if no analog outs, then you need the dac.

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
You could use something like this, which will split out stereo analogue audio from the HDMI connection between the PS4 and the TV. You can then connect its L/R audio outputs to an input on your amp.

61DD2%2ByxwXL._SL1000_.jpg

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
The composite adapter should come with the tv red/white/yellow along with the component red/green/blue adapter both to 3mm Jack - you need your own interconnects though.

Plug into the Aux input on the amp.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
A lot of TVs have 'component in' but few in my experience have 'component out', sometimes analog audio can be extracted from a scart socket though this is often limited to the TV tuner only, ie not frpm the HDMI or other inputs.

Given that a basic Toslink dac can be had for about £30, this might be the simplest solution.

LonsdaleMBM

Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
Hi all, thanks for your help to date. I've checked and it appears that my tv has compenent in but not component out. On that basis, should I be buying a toslink DAC?

Thanks for your help and sorry for being slow!

David

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
LonsdaleMBM said:
Hi all, thanks for your help to date. I've checked and it appears that my tv has compenent in but not component out. On that basis, should I be buying a toslink DAC?

Unless the TV also has a digital audio output, no.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
spiny norman said:
LonsdaleMBM said:

Unless the TV also has a digital audio output, no.

The Toslink dac is to connect digital out from the PS4 to analog in on your Cambridge amp. If you want to play audio from your PS4 into your hi-fi then yes.

It is the simplest way.

LonsdaleMBM

Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for this. Will something like the product below do the trick?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/High-Grade-DAC-Analogue-Converter/dp/B005HFTUO0

On top of that, I'll need (1) an optical cable to go from my ps4 to the converter and (2) the white and red cables to go from the converter to my amp?

Thanks

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
LonsdaleMBM said:
Thanks for this. Will something like the product below do the trick?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/High-Grade-DAC-Analogue-Converter/dp/B005HFTUO0

On top of that, I'll need (1) an optical cable to go from my ps4 to the converter and (2) the white and red cables to go from the converter to my amp?

Thanks

It is a generic 'dac in the box' product that should do the job without issue. Personally I would pay a little extra and get a branded product such as the Fiio D3 but there really is no need.

At £12 + change it is cheap enough not to worry about faults or failures, just buy another.

The cables you mention are correct, just work out wgere everything goes and buy the appropriate lengths.

You are good to go...!

bluebrazil

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
good advice from dave but if you go from an optical out on your tv you can listen to everything through the amp. this will really bring music channels and films to life.

hopefully your tv has a toslink out or else the op would be better with something like spiky had advised to convert the audio part from hdmi.

i am lucky because my tv has stereo analogue outs but if i was buying a new one without i would be connecting from my tv not just games consul.

just thought this is maybe all redundant if the op has a tuner box with analogue outs.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts