Help! Connecting A Sub Woofer To An Amp

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I need help please people.

I have just bought the SONY STR-DG820 amp and I am trying to connect it to the sub woofer that I already have. The sub woofer is from the all in one speaker system that I bought a few years back (I know it's old) - the SONY DAV-S550.

The problem is that the amp has an RCA output to the sub, whereas the sub has the input connection that is a speaker cable (2 wires). Is there such a cable that I can buy (RCA to speaker cable)? If there is no such cable, is it possible to modify an RCA cable and use it?

If I haven't explained it well enough, here is where you can find the two product manuals:

http://support.sony-europe.com/manuals/manuals.aspx?site=odw_en_GB

If anyone could help me I will buy them a pint!!!!!

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Ain't gonna work! The receiver outputs a preamp level signal, and needs a power amp built into the subwoofer (ie an active subwoofer) whereas that sub you have is a passive one, driven by an amp in the 'head unit' of your old system.

You need to buy an active subwoofer.

A

Anonymous

Many thanks. As well as buying you a pint, I now think that I'll have to buy some new style speakers.

I plan on spending about £250 and buying the JAMO A102HCS5 that you guys reviewed and gave 5 starts. Are there any other syle speaker packages you would recommend for that price or under?

Thanks

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
spike_the_biologist:Are there any other syle speaker packages you would recommend for that price or under?

Not much, I'm afraid. Although last time I looked Richer Sounds was doing the original KEF KHT1005 system for just under £200, which is a bit interesting.

A

Anonymous

Many thanks for your help and swift response - much appreciated.

TRENDING THREADS