help choosing new bluray player

josh05

Feb 28, 2010
Visit site
Hello all,

I currently have an old DMP-BD30 panasonic bluray player that i want to upgrade. It plays up a bit and is rediculosly slow.

Can you guys recomend any players, my tv is a sony XBR series 40" and the bluray player will be connected to the rega dac through eiher optical or coaxial.

Another option i thought would be getting a bluray drive for my pc which is connected to the tv through HDMI coming out of a geforce gts 250 graphics card. The PC is also running through the rega dac through optical.

with this upgrade the main thing is to get a player thats much faster. Better sound and picture is just a bonus. I havent really got a budget at the moment so open to all sugestions.

Thanks
smiley-smile.gif

A

Anonymous

josh05 said:
Hello all,

I currently have an old DMP-BD30 panasonic bluray player that i want to upgrade. It plays up a bit and is rediculosly slow.

Can you guys recomend any players, my tv is a sony XBR series 40" and the bluray player will be connected to the rega dac through eiher optical or coaxial.

Another option i thought would be getting a bluray drive for my pc which is connected to the tv through HDMI coming out of a geforce gts 250 graphics card. The PC is also running through the rega dac through optical.

with this upgrade the main thing is to get a player thats much faster. Better sound and picture is just a bonus. I havent really got a budget at the moment so open to all sugestions.

Thanks
smiley-smile.gif

I upgraded my (as you say stupidly slow) panasonic for a PS3. At least as good picture on BR or DVD and super quick (Well it does use Cell processors :) ). Pros - regular updates, powerful upscaling, media player, divx/xvid playback, plays all disks , BBC iPlayer etc, cons - Needs air, otherwise can be noisy, remote is Bluetooth (I use a Harmony One with PS3 gizmo).

Sound through DAC will be on a par.

The PC option is a good one if you're happy to have it switched on all the time.

josh05

Feb 28, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the reply :) the PS3 is very tempting. will playing blurays through PC produce a better picture? My PC is on all the time, just have it set to hybernate mode after an hour of no use.

A

Anonymous

josh05 said:
Thanks for the reply :) the PS3 is very tempting. will playing blurays through PC produce a better picture? My PC is on all the time, just have it set to hybernate mode after an hour of no use.

Can't comment on the picture via PC as I only have DVD on mine, but there's no reason I can think of for it to be any worse, and then of course you get the potential to back the disks up (although I think that may still be illegal, not sure).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts