Help choosing a cheap dac

gasolin

I have for sometime wanted a dac, to se what all the fuss is about a dac, but also to get better sound from pc to my Denon DRA-F109 (has digital input like optical and coaxial), using a optical cable from my motherboard into my reciver.(1½ years ago i bought a soundcard instead of a dac because of the price, but stil wanted a dac)

Something you have to try for your self in order to know if it wil give you better sound like cables or dac's, for some it does and for others they can't hear any difference (resently i changed my Qed Original speaker cable to Audioquest FLX SLiP 14/4 which gave my a more open sound which was something i wanted and a softer top)

Have thought about buying this dac next month http://epiphany-acoustics.co.uk/products-page/dacs/e-dac-24bit-miniature-usb-dac/

Found this 1 year old http://www.whathifi.com/review/cambridge-audio-dacmagic for 3/4 of the retailprice (a bit to much) mabye i can get at half price

I looked for other dac's as i wanted to know more of what's out there for not more then 100£ and i like to take my time to look for a product that i want and not just buy a random product in my price range.

I then again found this dac http://www.thomann.de/gb/esi_dr_dac_nano.htm that i knew wasn't that expensive and isn't a bad dac http://www.headfonia.com/esi-dr-dac-nano-entry-level-2496/ and had to know what you think about this dac (if you have any comments about the 2 other dac's you welcome to share it with me, i would appriciate it)

What do you think about the ESI Dr Dac Nano?

What is the best dac's for under 100£ (neutral and open sound,not bright/harsh)

I am seaching for something that can play 24bit/96khz and sounds good, all the speciel things many dac's have i am not interested in

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
I don't think a DAC at those prices will give much, if any, improvement over the DAC in your Denon.

Maybe there would be some improvement once you are hitting DAC Magic level, but I'm not sure that your amo and speakers will necessarily make the most of a higher level DAC.

Check the DAC section of the forum for peoples' experiences with DACs of varying budgets.

pauln

Feb 26, 2008
Visit site
ID. said:
I don't think a DAC at those prices will give much, if any, improvement over the DAC in your Denon.

Maybe there would be some improvement once you are hitting DAC Magic level, but I'm not sure that your amo and speakers will necessarily make the most of a higher level DAC.

Check the DAC section of the forum for peoples' experiences with DACs of varying budgets.

Same answer as yesterday in your other thread, gasolin. If you don't like the advice you're getting, ignore it and just get a DAC - you obviously want to. Asking the same question in a new post won't change the answer.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
I'd say DAC (either the one in your Denon or an external DAC if you really want to go down that parth) over soundcard, just because a PC can be a very electrically noisy environment with poor isolation.

Having said that, I have never actually compared the two, so my advice is based on conjecture rather than experience.

Broner

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I can only vouch for my experience with the arcam rpac which I recently took over for £85. I recently tested it at a friend who sometimes does the music at small parties. He has a soundcard (don't know the brand) lined up to his computer that works with a specific DJ software package.

The arcam rpac was a clear improvement over his soundcard.

gasolin

Broner said:
I can only vouch for my experience with the arcam rpac which I recently took over for £85. I recently tested it at a friend who sometimes does the music at small parties. He has a soundcard (don't know the brand) lined up to his computer that works with a specific DJ software package.

The arcam rpac was a clear improvement over his soundcard.

Have thought about this dac, just can't find it close to 100£, in Denmark where i live it costs 200£

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts