Help! CDP or DAC or Sysytem Upgrade

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
copied and pasted from the HiFi section as I didn't see this one initially

Hi
wave.gif

My current "setup" is Cambridge Audio Azur 640A and 640C (Amp & CDP) and Mordaunt-Short MS914. I have had this for a number of years and it is my first and only experience of seperates.... so I'm no audiophile lol.

Recently the CDP stopped working and I was informed that it would probably cost more to fix it than to replace. I was asked if I'd consder a DAC instead of a CDP and being an analyst I set about discovering what that meant.

I have been into Richer Sounds and listened to a CA DacMagic, which i quite liked and then the DacMagic Plus which I liked even more! Having read some reviews I quite like the looks of the Rega DAC, Audiolab MDAC & Music Fidelity M1 DAC.

I guess I am looking for some advice about a route to take. I could just make it simple and get another CDP or maybe new CDP & AMP (Marantz combo?). If going for a DAC I have a blu-ray / DVD player to use as the transport. I doubt I would be using my PC to DAC but guess an element of future proofing would be nice if I went down that route.

I don't want to spend more than circa £600 but will do if I can hear & appreciate the benefit of it.

My music tastes are quite varied but if I were to test some songs they would be

Nina Simone - Don't let me be misundersttod

Rodrigo - Concerto de Aranjuez

Pink Floyd - Comfortably Numb

IAMX - This will make you love again

I know ultimately I will have to actually listen to this somewhere like Richer Sounds or SevenOaks HiFI but would appreciate some pointers

Many Thanks

John

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
Buy a pair of AVI ADM 9RS active speakers, £1250 delivered. Brilliant speakers including pre and power amps, dac, remote and necessary cabling. Feed them from your bluray and sell your existing gear. Job done, superb sound at a price that conventional hifi will almost certainly not get near.

:cheers:

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the unexpected reply :) Well the reviews (not to disbelieve you) sound excellent but £1250 is going more than a little beyond what I was prepared to spend (I technically have the funds but am saving to buy a house :cry: ).

How much could I reasonably recoup from selling my curent speakers and amp? I'm guessing not that much?

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
QuickSilver said:
Thanks for the unexpected reply :) Well the reviews (not to disbelieve you) sound excellent but £1250 is going more than a little beyond what I was prepared to spend (I technically have the funds but am saving to buy a house :cry: ).

How much could I reasonably recoup from selling my curent speakers and amp? I'm guessing not that much?

Sorry I know nothing about second hand prices. To be honest in your shoes I would concentrate on the house and wait to buy once[the AVIs] in the future. :cry:

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
relocated said:
QuickSilver said:

Sorry I know nothing about second hand prices. To be honest in your shoes I would concentrate on the house and wait to buy once[the AVIs] in the future. :cry:

+1.

HiFi is merely a nice to have toy.

Just get a cheap second hand CD player or new Blu-Ray player to tide yourself over for now.

A

Anonymous

Well I'll still have enough funds to spend on this but it is a valid point about just getting something that will do the job for now.... trouble is I've heard the DM+ and liked it so anything less than that and I would have a sense of disappointment (to quote James "If I hadn't seen such riches I could live with being poor").

Richer Sounds have the TEAC UD-H01 for £150 but I don't know how that compares to the DM+. That might do for the short term and then invest in something with a fair bit more quality.

edit: or maybe the £200 Beresford Bushmaster

Has anyone compared these to the REGA DAC or Audiolab MDAC?

Thanks

SteveR750

QuickSilver said:
Well I'll still have enough funds to spend on this but it is a valid point about just getting something that will do the job for now.... trouble is I've heard the DM+ and liked it so anything less than that and I would have a sense of disappointment (to quote James "If I hadn't seen such riches I could live with being poor").

Richer Sounds have the TEAC UD-H01 for £150 but I don't know how that compares to the DM+. That might do for the short term and then invest in something with a fair bit more quality.

edit: or maybe the £200 Beresford Bushmaster

Has anyone compared these to the REGA DAC or Audiolab MDAC?

Thanks

If the mods agree, then send me an email, I might be able to help with a very young DM+ that needs a new home

A

Anonymous

Well I've just ordered the Beresford Bushmaster for £180. I'm going a bit on blind faith / reviews so will see how I go.

I've just realised I'll need some sort of connection from my Denon BluRay to the DAC. Any suggestions?

Steve - Thanks for the offer. Hopefully I will be happy with the Beresford but who knows!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts