Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi, me again

Finally going shopping later today to buy my new AV equipment

Definatley decided on the Onkyo 605 AV AMP

Need help of DVD Player

PS3 - For blue ray and games console

Toshiba HD DVD player - just checked amazon and HD-EP35 can be bought for £190

Only reason for me buying seperate DVD player is so kids can use it, I can see them breaking the PS3

Reason why I am choosing HD DVD player is I am covered if it goes one way or another

Otherwise I will go for SD player - Pioneer or Denon

Please help before I go out, my head is spinning on this subject (probably about 11ish AM)

Am I right to say HD players are not multi region?

Thanks

Sanjay (D4774NI)
user_online.gif
progress.gif

A

Anonymous

This makes sense to me, too. But remember that whatever HD player you choose, it'll only ever play Region2 DVDs (until some kind person comes up with a hack....)
Oh, and some Blu Ray discs are Region free (there are a number of sites that list 'em including Movietyme and http://bluray.liesinc.net/)

FuzzyinLondon

Dec 5, 2007
Visit site
Sounds like a decent plan to me although I might make one suggestion. You might want to consider saving £70 and going for the EP30. It gives identical picture quality to the EP35 and uses the same upscaling chip and can decode DDTrueHD as PCM over HDMI. The advantage of the EP35 are the analog outputs and the ability to bitstream HD audio but are they worth it? You wouldn't use the analogs with an Onkyo 605. So far, the only studio that has used DTS HD MA is Fox and they're Bluray exclusive. So the only real advantage is the ability to send DDTrueHD as bitstream.

nads

[quote user="FuzzyinLondon"] So far, the only studio that has used DTS HD MA is Fox and they're Bluray exclusive. [/quote] Not correct. I have a HD DVD with DTS Master 7.1 on it and it rocks. Pan's Labyrinth US version.

FuzzyinLondon

Dec 5, 2007
Visit site
I stand corrected and does make the EP35 a good prospect if studios will continue to back the format with good quality discs with HD audio. Not sure how long that is going to last though.

A

Anonymous

Just to give all an update

Decided when I was in the shop

What do I actually watch

I watch SD DVDs

Dont own any HD or BR DVDs

I decided on a Denon 1940 DVD player and I am happy with my purchase and it does fit my purchase and does the job perfectly.

I will at later date buy a PS3 but it is not high priorty

Thanks for all who helped

Sanjay (D4774NI)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts