Help- av amp connected to stereo amp but no 5.1 sound

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have a cambridge audio 350 stereo amp connected to a cambridge 540R receiver. I have connected them as instructed in other posts, but I cannot get any 5.1 sound form the receiver when watching dvds. Only sound through the front left and right speakers. The reciever is indicating on the display that it is decoding 5.1. Stereo sound is fine while listening to cds on the dvd player.Can anyone help?

A

Anonymous

Hi.

I have the front left and right pre-outs from the receiver connected to the aux on the stereo amp with phono cables.

The front left and right speaker are connected to the stereo amp.

The centre,rears and sub are connected to the receiver.

The dvd player is connected to the receiver via an optical cable.

I also have a dac magic in the mix- connected to the stereo amp /dvd player. (not sure if that is relevant)

I calibrated the speakers whilst setting the stereo volume level at the twelve o'clock position.

hope that all helps

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
I would connect the front speakers up to the receiver and check that you get 5.1 sound from the receiver with a dvd first.

Also disconnect the pre-out cables and make sure the receiver is working properly.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
ceremony1:
Hi.

I have the front left and right pre-outs from the receiver connected to the aux on the stereo amp with phono cables.

The front left and right speaker are connected to the stereo amp.

The centre,rears and sub are connected to the receiver.

The dvd player is connected to the receiver via an optical cable.

I also have a dac magic in the mix- connected to the stereo amp /dvd player. (not sure if that is relevant)

I calibrated the speakers whilst setting the stereo volume level at the twelve o'clock position.

hope that all helps

the Dacmagic cannot decode Dolby Digital and it's two channel only. It will work fine without the DM.

A

Anonymous

The dacmagic is connected to the dvd player via digital coaxial cable and then phono leads to the stereo amp.

Is it the dac magic that is causing the problems in the set up then?

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
I see what your trying to do

Id say its a bad idea, but if you can get it working then it might well sound better (Although the processing involved might mean that the left and right chanels are slightly out of phase (A time difference) to the rest

Id concentrate on getting the center and rears working first. You say theyre connected via an optical cable and 5.1 comes up on the receiver? Then im baffled as to why you dont get sound out of them (The MUTES not on is it??)

Sounds like the dacs working as it should so left and rights fine

All this said, im unsure if you can use both the optical AND the coaxial at the same time, so you may have to remove the DAC

If your struggling. Remove the dac and the stereo amp completely from the mix and concentrate on the middle and rears. Then systematically try whatever you can to get the rest working

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
ceremony1:
The dacmagic is connected to the dvd player via digital coaxial cable and then phono leads to the stereo amp.

Yes. As I said before, take the Dacmagic out of the equation and it will all work fine.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
ceremony1:

which DVD player do you have? You should be able to set your receiver up so there is an input for CDs and another for DVDs. I have this on mine. For instance, you could have input one as hdmi and coaxial for CDs, and then input two, same hdmi and optical for DVDs. When you want to watch a DVD, you press input two on the receiver's remote and input one for CDs.

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
Does anyone know exactly whats decoded if you try to feed a 5.1 signal into a DAC magic (or any others?)

Does it only decode and play 2 channel, or will it combine the lot?

A

Anonymous

Is the general concensus then that the dacmagic should be removed from the equation?

I will try this and see what happens.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
ceremony1:
Is the general concensus then that the dacmagic should be removed from the equation?

I will try this and see what happens.

you will not get any sound until you connect the DVD player directly to your receiver.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the help and advice.

I unplugged everything and reconnected it all. It turns out my darling two year old had fiddled with some of the buttons on the reciever and changed the DSP mode button.

So I can now listen fine to 5.1 with the strereo amp and reciever connected and also the dacmagic is fine too as it is just connected to the stereo amp and I listen to music through the cd input and movies through the aux input on the stereo amp and reciever.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts