Help Arcam AVR280

Gary233932

Jun 15, 2007
Visit site
Will the Av280 take the audio HD output from the SP3 over HDMI and is it as good as the Onkyo 875.

My speakers are Quad L-ites

Thanks Gary

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Gary233932"]Will the Av280 take the audio HD output from the SP3 over HDMI[/quote]

PS3 even? Nope

[quote user="Gary233932"]And is it as good as the Onkyo 875.[/quote]

Nope

Gary233932

Jun 15, 2007
Visit site
Thanks Andrew, was trying to rain in my budget and the AV280 Sounds really Good but if it can't accept a ps3's audio input it out can you look over my proposed system and give me your opinions?

TV Panasonic 42"/50" PZ70 or PZ80/81

Projector Optoma HD65

Amp Onkyo 606 / 875

DVD my old Pioneer DV717

Blu-ray PS3

Speakers Quad L-ite's

Virgin V+ Box

The Speakers are all I've bought so far and I'm downscaling from a much bigger system.

A

Anonymous

We're in the process of testing our way through Panasonic's immense new range of TVs. So far, so impressive, but we've not yet published a review on the TH42PZ80. However, if its 70-series forebear and the new HD-Ready PX80 are any guides, it should be fine. By the by, you'll be able to check out our review in the Ultimate Guide to TV, on sale June 5th.
The projector? Don't know it. From the spec, it looks bright and and punchy, but that doesn't necessarily translate into good contrast (that's real, calibrated contrast, not a contrast ratio) or movement. I'd view it before buying. What I can recommend without equivocation is the Panasonic PT-AX200E: it's a shade more expensive, but very, very capable. Don't forget to allow for a screen, if you don't already have one.
Amp? Again, a TX-SR606 review is in the offing, but it'd a major surprise if it's anything other than capable. The '875 is, in my view, too capable for your speakers: I'd save the money and settle on the cheaper Onkyo. If that gives you the spare cash to opt for the Panasonic projector and a screen, then so much the better.
The rest? Fine. The Pioneer was and is a cracker, despite its age, the PS3 is a fine affordable Blu-ray source, and the Quads are terrific.

Gary233932

Jun 15, 2007
Visit site
Thanks Andy.

The reason for the Onkyo 875 is for the scaler and the de-interlacer, as I was advised that my Pioneer DV717 was very good in its day. However it isn't progressive scan and it can't scale, so I was told with the 875 it would be very very good. How good do you think the 606 would be for this?

As for the projector, is the Panasonic £330 better as this is the price difference? I'm new to projectors so this will be a trial to see if we'd get use out of it.

A

Anonymous

No doubt about it, the TX-SR875 is very good at video processing. However, don't forget your plasma TV and your projector will also have video processing built in, including both scaling and deinterlacing. You may find that your DV-717 delivers a perfectly good picture simply plugged straight into your prospective TV/PJ buys.
Equally, consider that the price difference between an Onkyo TX-SR606 and an '875 is still (as far as I know) around £600: that's a lot to pay for theoretically superior video processing in the context of the rest of your system. I'd suggest that if you really don't like the DVD picture your Pioneer delivers once you've installed it, even when it's being used with the Faroudja video processing in the Onkyo TX-SR606, then you should buy a new DVD playerÿ- it'll still be way cheaper than opting for an '875 right now. Besides, as I said, your speakers, good as they are, are a bit out of their depth with a £1000 receiver in tow.
Finally: I've not tested the Optoma. I'd be very surprised if it could overcome the Panasonic, though. It's worth adding that as an occasional-use design (which it sounds like it's going to be) the PT-AX200E is hard to top: the joystick lens-alignment system is a thing of genius.

Gary233932

Jun 15, 2007
Visit site
Thanks Andy. What is your opinion of the Planar PD7060 it the Texas Instruments DC3 chip and Horizontal and Vertical keystone correction for £750 would this be better than the Panasonic. I will be wall mounting the Projector. thanks Gary

A

Anonymous

Blimey.that's a deal. It was £1750 not so long ago! That's a lot closer to call: the Planar's a fine projector, but as you obviously know, not necessarily the ideal coffee-table design. Still, with the fixed installation you're planning, that'd be less of an issue. Which would I buy? I think the Planar's black levels will be better, but the Panasonic's motion-handling will be smoother. I'd try to view the two against each other if at all possible, but if you can't, I'd guess the Planar might edge it. Just.

Gary233932

Jun 15, 2007
Visit site
Finally got the 606 and a Sharp LC32X20E for £600 as a friend was also got a AV package and Richersounds are doing the TV on a VIP deal for £199 £500 off, think I got a great deal. Still not sure about the projector (Planar) as I can't demo one around me thanks GaryPS will my Pioneer DV717 be better than the PS3 for DVD's

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts