Help and advice required

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I am currently extending my house and will need a new cd player/amp/speakers for my living room. The new room will be a reasonable size 8mx5m and no ceiling - the roof beams are exposed. I have a budget of around £600. Musical preferences vary from rock to jazz/blues.

I know the ideal situation would be for me to visit a hifi shop but we are stuck up in the Shetland Isles and would have to order the components up.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

A

Anonymous

Are you saying that your room would be 40 square meter (8 meter x 5 meter)? And no cieling? And hey, how high the walls? Well, i must say this is a rare scenario.

You should think of looking at pro or DJ systems rather than home-audio.

A

Anonymous

Don't be silly. He just means the beams are exposed up to the underside of the roof.

You need a set-up that will fill the space. This to my mind means someone like Thaiman advising on componants. But I think a very powerful amp and some suitable speakers will be needed. Not to go loud, but to have the muscle to handle the room.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="needsomehelp"] I have a budget of around £600.[/quote]

For that money, I hope your not hoping for a system that will fill such a large space with beautiful sounding music, try adding an extra 0 then you might get somewhere.
emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

With the right kit, it will be fine. You'll have a lovely open sound with little reflection so choice of amp, speaker etc need to be very capable of holding their own and not relying on reflection to build a soundstage. Any thoughts chaps?

A

Anonymous

Will,

Thanks for your help. I am a novice at the hifi game. Have only had on old aiwa midi system in my old room and the wife recently blew up the speakers!!

gregory

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
looked at this post the other day and i have to say this is a hard one.£600.00 to fill a room that size, i would love a room like that.if second hand is out of the question then cambridge audio from richer sounds or something from superfi online.richers have a cd amp speaker system for about £500.00.add in cables and a decent stand and it will be a bit over 600 unless the good people at richer sounds are feeling generous to your plight of not being able to call on them.i believe that superfi offer free delivery not sure about richers.why not have a look on their sites and report back.good luck,gregory.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
I would find a new room to put your hifi in! :) £600 to fill the room like that can be done, just move your chair closer to the system and toe in speakers quite heavily to get a better soundstage. As for what you should buy? £200 each, I afraid that is not much choice out there.....you know the usual recommendation Cambridge Audio - MA BR2. good luck

A

Anonymous

i would guess u will need alot of power and big spkers to fill the room propely so £600 is not much but if u are luky and patient u might getway with it but u need to go down the 2nd hand route find a good pair of floor standers somthing u like or somthing that u know is good and relyable as for tyhe amp i suggest at list 200w of power i have 300w and my room is small so the more the maryer ebay gumtree and various second hand hifi sites will be agood starting point u'll need cable aswell and quite alot of it as ull need to place the speackers close to the corners to maximise the soundstage so consider that aswell good luck sex

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts