Help! Advice required to combine my two systems please!!!

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Can someone please help me with my small system problem?!

After returning from a couple of years overseas, i have been re-united with my old hi-fi and home cinema systems much to my joy... the only problem is that now i have become a student again, i can only set up one system.... This means i need to combine my two existing systems somehow into one.

The systems comprise of:

Home cinema:
  • Marantz SR7200 6.1 amp
  • Nakamichi DVD 10s dvd player
  • Acoustic Energy Aegis 3 front speakers
  • Acoustic Energy Aegis 1 rear speakers
  • Acoustic Energy Aegis Centre (x2)
  • VIBE Stealth subs (x2 1- 15" in enclosure and 1- 12" in enclosure)
  • Panasonic AE700 projector (my girlfriends!)
Hi-fi:
  • Rotel RA-01 amp
  • Rotel RCD-02 cd player
  • Project Debut turntable
  • Wharfedale Evo 30 floorstanders
Plus all required good quality cables and interconnects.

My problem really is how to best integrate these two previously separate systems into one which works well. I love the sound of the Wharfedales (yes, i have to admit they were not high on my list of purchases, but after a test i was blown away!), so don't want to lose those. I also like the sound of the Rotel amp, i feel it to be considerably better than the 2 channel output of the Marantz.

Currently as a temporary measure i have the Evo 30's on front duty, with the Acoustic energy 3's at the rear (maybe a bit much to have a pair of floorstanders as rears?) and the AE centres with just the one sub - the 15" (which i have to say is a marvellous and VERY underrated sub). These are all at the moment powered by the Marantz, the poor rotel is sitting there doing nothing. I have thought of using the rotel as just a power amp and using the pre-outs from the Marantz. Is this worthwhile or will it just sound like the Marantz?

I should also mention that as i am now a student again there is little/no budget for replacement of any component. So, any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks to all.....

S

A

Anonymous

Well, I made a start and now i have the rotel running the two front channels (the wharfedales) using a spare (aux) input connected to the front channel preouts on the marantz. The CD player and turntable are direct through the rotel and the dvd player to the marantz. It seems to work pretty well, i'm no audiophile, but the wharfedales seem to integrate pretty well aith the acoustic energy speakers...

Any further advice on setting up or improvements would be most welcome!

Many thanks

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Well, the only obvious change would be an Evo Centre to balance up the front three, but we're talking £250, which migh be pushing things a bit. I'd leave well alone and enjoy, myself...

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the advice Andrew.

I would be quite keen to get hold of an Evo Centre speaker as well as balancing up the front it would look a whole lot nicer as well!

Does anyone know of any used ones for sale, as the original series 1 - which my floorstanders are - is now discontinued ? Seems like the series 2 are already heavily discounted (cheapest so far seen £130 for a centre), would that integrate better than the acoustic energy that i have?

Are there any good second hand dealers out there, or does anyone have one for sale? I would be looking for a black or maple finish. I've had a good look on ebay and google searching, but to no avail....

All help warmly welcomed!

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Yes, I think the series 2 centre will still integrate very well with the floorstanders you have. If memory serves, the tonal balance wasn't changed that much between the two generations.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts