Hegel integrated amplifiers

don’t like Wi-Fi because it can lead to problems, unstable networks and the like and they believe the sound is sub par.

Took a day off work today and have been using a Devialet Expert Pro 220 and listening to Spotify Connect using Wi-Fi . No issues with Wi-Fi today or for that matter ever with Expert Pro’s the either at home or at the store.

Btw, sound quality is fab (y)

It seems that Wi-Fi -v- Ethernet is a bit like optical -v- wired, in that some manufacturers favour one over the other.

Isn’t it Auralic who recommended Wi-Fi rather than hardwired? Linn used to only offer Ethernet but now offer both on their latest models. Hegel seem to require wired.

Personally, I think it very much depends on your location, Broadband provider, and where your Hi-Fi is in relation to your router. We are lucky with a FTTP provider, and the Hifi room is next to the hall where the router sits, so it’s easy to run one Ethernet cable under the door.

WiFi “can” lead to problems. Whether it works for one person or not isn’t the point (well done Rick - firstly on working WiFi, and secondly for plugging another brand in a thread that didn’t need it). Everybody’s network is different, with different demands. Some might work fine, but others may not. And when something happens to the stream - whether it is a full drop out or a split second “jump”, end users instantly blame the electronics, never their own network. Some manufacturers choose to remove any potential WiFi issues by insisting their products are hard wired. At home (and work), if I can hard wire it, I do.

well done Rick - firstly on working WiFi,

Partly sharing my personal experience of my home system using Wi-Fi. Fwiw, here at the store today had demos using Naim Audio's NSC 222/NPX 300/New Classic NAP 250 and a pair of Devialet's Phantom I 108db's. Both exclusively using Wi-Fi without any issues whatsoever. Can't recall the last time I hard wired a system at the store or at home.

Anyway, Wi-Fi shouldn't be a hindrance and manufacturers such as Naim Audio and Devialet offer products that offer convenience of Wi-Fi with musical enjoyment.

Partly sharing my personal experience of my home system using Wi-Fi. Fwiw, here at the store today had demos using Naim Audio's NSC 222/NPX 300/New Classic NAP 250 and a pair of Devialet's Phantom I 108db's. Both exclusively using Wi-Fi without any issues whatsoever. Can't recall the last time I hard wired a system at the store or at home.

Anyway, Wi-Fi shouldn't be a hindrance and manufacturers such as Naim Audio and Devialet offer products that offer convenience of Wi-Fi with musical enjoyment.
You’re still overlooking the point, and bigging yourself up as usual. Most homes’ WiFi is fine, and it works, but not everyone has that luxury, and sometimes, for whatever reason, sometimes WiFi will fail. Having a product that demands a physical connection rather than relying on WiFi removes that issue completely. Even server products from Innuos are all physical connection, for that very reason.

Reactions: Al ears
WiFi “can” lead to problems. Whether it works for one person or not isn’t the point (well done Rick - firstly on working WiFi, and secondly for plugging another brand in a thread that didn’t need it). Everybody’s network is different, with different demands. Some might work fine, but others may not. And when something happens to the stream - whether it is a full drop out or a split second “jump”, end users instantly blame the electronics, never their own network. Some manufacturers choose to remove any potential WiFi issues by insisting their products are hard wired. At home (and work), if I can hard wire it, I do.
Yep, agreed. Our wifi is frustratingly inconsistent and that's the main reason I've never purchased a streamer.

Witterings

Yep, agreed. Our wifi is frustratingly inconsistent and that's the main reason I've never purchased a streamer.

I had loads of problems a while back where I had cables running from the Router to an Access Point to extend the WiFi range and after tearing much hair out found I had 2 dodgy cables ... Switched those out and haven't had the same problem since ... touch wood.

Don't know what your setup is and if you have anything similar OR maybe a WiFi range extender or powerline kit may help if it's weak where you'd put your streamer.

EDIT: You posted the above while I was typing.

Most homes’ WiFi is fine, and it works, but not everyone has that luxury, and sometimes, for whatever reason, sometimes WiFi will fail. Having a product that demands a physical connection rather than relying on WiFi removes that issue completely.

At home or at the store. Different locations and with different internet providers and using Wi-Fi without any issues whatsoever.

Anyway, thankfully brands such as Naim Audio and Devialet offer products that have both bases covered. So if your Wi-Fi is playing up then you can also hard wire the components concerned.

Most people, it would seem, would rather put up with possible dodgy WiFi rather than having to run physical cables for miles around the house.
For Hegel to say well that's what you are going to have to do must surely limit sales?

I had loads of problems a while back where I had cables running from the Router to an Access Point to extend the WiFi range and after tearing much hair out found I had 2 dodgy cables ... Switched those out and haven't had the same problem since ... touch wood.

Don't know what your setup is and if you have anything similar OR maybe a WiFi range extender or powerline kit may help if it's weak where you'd put your streamer.

EDIT: You posted the above while I was typing.
It's supplied by Talktalk. They also supplied the dongle (love that word😁) so we have conventional wired internet and WIFI. Most days it's fine but out of the blue it crashes or an hour, half a day and on occasions for a day or two and then I have to use the data on my phone.

WayneKerr

It's supplied by Talktalk. They also supplied the dongle (love that word😁) so we have conventional wired internet and WIFI. Most days it's fine but out of the blue it crashes or an hour, half a day and on occasions for a day or two and then I have to use the data on my phone.
If it's that bad then complain... or switch suppliers.

TRENDING THREADS