Headphones v speakers

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
I prefer speakers but use headphones to block out noise, or out of consideration for my neighbors when it's early/late, or so that I don't wake the kids.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
bignige said:
Does anyone on here listen exclusively/largely via headphones and if so, why?

Yes mainly. Headphones are a bi-product of sharing my house with two children and a partner who is largely disinterested in HiFi and music.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
bignige said:

Yes mainly. Headphones are a bi-product of sharing my house with two children and a partner who is largely disinterested in HiFi and music.

Yesterday mine opened her laptop and played Led Zep for about twenty minutes. Wound me up endlessly. It sounded shite, expectedly and she had a system to play it on right next to her. Apart from bad taste in music she refused to listen to it any other way.

One of her presents will be some ear buds from the pound shop.

Women :)

drummerman said:
MajorFubar said:
bignige said:

Yesterday mine opened her laptop and played Led Zep for about twenty minutes. Wound me up endlessly. It sounded shite, expectedly and she had a system to play it on right next to her. Apart from bad taste in music she refused to listen to it any other way.

Might I suggest some earplugs for yourself.... ;-)

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
drummerman said:
MajorFubar said:
bignige said:

lol yep by and large women are even less interested in SQ than blokes, and even most blokes I know are perfectly happy with the sound of their phone speakers. We've gone full circle from wax cylinders to 78s, AM radio, vinyl, VHF radio, CDs, and now back to devices which sound like wax cylinders.

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
drummerman said:
MajorFubar said:
bignige said:

lol yep by and large women are even less interested in SQ than blokes, and even most blokes I know are perfectly happy with the sound of their phone speakers. We've gone full circle from wax cylinders to 78s, AM radio, vinyl, VHF radio, CDs, and now back to devices which sound like wax cylinders.

What has their sexual orientation and how big they are got to do with it...

bluedroog

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
I get way people go for headphones, you typically can get a higher end sound for less money than the equivelent speaker set up, no room issues to contend with but they just don't quite do it for me, I like the slam and soundstage of speakers.

I do enjoy my in ear phones for public transport but I'd never choose to use them at home.

lovstromp

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
I sold my amp and speakers when I moved to Denmark two years ago and got myself Sennheiser HD-600 along with a headphone amp. They sound soo good that I keep thinking "why bother getting an amp and speakers again?". They've gotten me into listening to classical music. Something I rearely did through speakers. I think I'd need to spend beyond £1500 if I wanted speakers and amp that didn't make me question the point of it if they didn't sound better than my headphones. Or I could just get some cheap ones for casual listening, but it just would be as fun (I think). I think my next goal would be getting a sorround system, now that stereo feels sorted.

chris_bates1974

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
Seems many are forgetting the social aspect of listening to music. Can't do that with headphones.

As for the point about women... My wife is a classical musician, plays piano, bassoon, and cello. She swears she can't hear the difference between the tin-pot bluetooth speaker in the kitchen, and my hifi in the hifi room....

I reckon they say it because they feel that if they are seen to be validating our vices, we think it'll be easier to get them to agree to more expenditure.

And they'd be right.

chris_bates1974 said:
Seems many are forgetting the social aspect of listening to music. Can't do that with headphones.

As for the point about women... My wife is a classical musician, plays piano, bassoon, and cello. She swears she can't hear the difference between the tin-pot bluetooth speaker in the kitchen, and my hifi in the hifi room....

I reckon they say it because they feel that if they are seen to be validating our vices, we think it'll be easier to get them to agree to more expenditure.

And they'd be right.
I have some friends and relatives who play and perform too, and like you find, they seem largely immune to better sound. My rationale is that they are listening to the music and its structure, the various voices, etc., not how accurate it is per se. Never quite understood it, myself!

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
We are just weird.

Time to accept it
regular_smile.gif

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Gazzip said:
MajorFubar said:
drummerman said:
MajorFubar said:
bignige said:

What has their sexual orientation and how big they are got to do with it...
:-D Now there's an interesting study should you wish to take up the opportunity...does sexual orientation in either gender influence your likelyhood to be a hifi enthusiast. Not sure about size...feel that could be a red herring other than you could argue physically-fit thin people may be less interested in indoor hobbies because they're more than likely to be found outdoors or down a gym.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts