Headphones to go with a Fatman iTube

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi I'm looking to get some sort of an upgrade from my Senn PX100 'phones to listen mostly to my Fatman! I read on another site that Grado's don't need such a powerful amp to drive them as the likes of Beyer or Senn's need, so I wondered if a pair of Grado SR60s might be better with the Fatman since it's 2 x 13w... Can anyone (who knows more than me!) tell me if they think I'm on the right lines? I'd like a decent length of cable too - or I guess and extension... I could spend up to £80 ish.... but like a bargain! Thanks

A

Anonymous

Hi Shonamh, I'm no expert on this, but I don't think the overall power of the amp has anything to do with its ability to drive headphones. If your Fatman has a headphone socket, it should be fine with a pair of Grados. Grado do their own 5 metre extension cable, which I've found to be very good. The Grado SR60s plus extension will tip the scales just over £100 however.

A

Anonymous

I initially thought of Grado SR60s, but others seem to slag them off as being old etc... what about Beyerdynamic DTX900?
Happy to spend a bit more if it makes a decent difference...

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
The Grados are great, despite their age (I've used a pair for years), but if you're looking for something a bit cheaper the Goldring DR50s (£30) are great value.

They're precise, cohesive and have a pleasingly rhythmic presentation that's hard not to like. Only the bass is a tad undernourished, but they're still a bargain buy.

At the other end of the price scale, the Audio Technica ATH-AD700 (£100) are fast, dynamic and have a level of insight rare at this price level.

A

Anonymous

Do audition before you buy.

The Grado house sound is bright, up front and aggressive with minimal soudstage. They are classic headphones for rock however and typically give the impression of being right there with the guitarist on stage giving a sense of intimacy not found with the big soundstage cans.

Beyers range from the heavy bass of the closed 770's to the bright and detailed 880's and 990's. All well respected headphones in their own right.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts