Headphones for the gym

Highway

Oct 20, 2008
Visit site
I was wondering if any of the readers have some good advice on buying headphones to be used with my iPod in the gym. There are probably lots of models and designs, but what are your experiences and could you recommend any candidates. I tend to run, cycle and row if that helps. Thanks.

A

Anonymous

When at home I use my Grado's which I love dearly, but for running I use my Shure SE110's which stay put in my ear and sound wonderful for in-ear phones. Wonderful midrange and I've noticed they have gotten a great review on this site too which doesn't surprise me as I've always been a fan of Shure - artists use their (pro) models for a reason it seems. The other great benefit is that they give fantastic isolation, a bomb could go off next to me and I'd not hear it. Really though, I even use them on the plane when not listening to music as they block out so much noise and do it without effecting the sound. Only word of caution I'd mention is that if you're not used to in-ear type phones, it canÿfeelÿvery strange putting them in the first time as they seem to be going quite far into your ear. If you don't put them in far enough, it can effect the sound quality and you don't get the isolation obviously. Once over that first time though, great sound quality, well under £100 and no matter how much I move around they don't fall out. Certainly worth looking into for your needs in my opinion.ÿ

A

Anonymous

Well, I would recommend the noise cancelling headphone models of Bose. One reason is that there would probably be a lot of noise in a gym and you dont want to hear them with your music, another reason is I realized that those headphones do not have cushions that store the speakers in them and that are the parts that actually are in contact with your ears but they have a leather kind of thing that definitely does not get affected by sweat. Believe me you don't feel comfortable with headphones or earphones that are wet with your sweating. Another reason is, even though they are headphones and not earphones, they do not fall of your head when you jump or row. Personally I didn't have any problem with them when biking. The only thing is, people might get angry with you when you don't respond to them. (the noise cancelling feature works so well you can not hear a single thing from the outside world, once I was going down a very steep road, obviously very fast, and I din't hear what the other bikers said, which resulted in an accident)

Highway

Oct 20, 2008
Visit site
Thank you for taking the time to respond "mcd0234" and "i hi fi". You have given me some food for thought. I have noticed the Shure SE110 seem to appear on the forums quite a bit.

Will take some time out to walk around the shops both internet and physical before choosing.

John Duncan

they are excellent, undoubtedly, though some have expressed concerns over noise cancelling (or isolating) headphones for running, since they tend to exacerbate the "thumpthumpthump" (technical term) of your feet........

Highway

Oct 20, 2008
Visit site
Messiah - These were on my list, and at the price I feel more comfortable about taking to the gym than ones costing a who lot more (I could easily leave them in the changing rooms!!).

JohnDuncan - Good point, did not think of that. Although I don't run (shin splints) I do row a lot and static cycle. I could see me having to time the bass drum to my foot steps, bit difficult if you listen to speed metal though
emotion-3.gif

Appreciate the comments chaps.

TRENDING THREADS