Headphone Amps

stevee1966

Sep 21, 2007
Visit site
Need to buy a headphone amp as my Roksan M2 does not have a headphone jack but am a bit unsure as to how it will work.

If i connect the headphone amp, ie, a Project Headbox, to the Record Out on my Roksan, do i then need to select my mode, ie, cd, and turn down the volume on the Roksan, so sound doesn't come from my speakers ?

Or is it a case of just by connecting the headphone amp, that the audio automatically goes through that output and not my speakers - though that would mean i'd need to plug the headphone amp in whenever i needed to use it and unplug it again when finished.

I'm confused.

eggontoast

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
stevee1966 said:
If i connect the headphone amp, ie, a Project Headbox, to the Record Out on my Roksan, do i then need to select my mode, ie, cd, and turn down the volume on the Roksan, so sound doesn't come from my speakers ?

This is correct, you will need your amplifier turned on, select the source as normal and just turn the volume down on the Roksan. When you select the source on the amplifier it will be sent out of the 'Rec-Out' to the headphone amplifier, it is a fixed line level pass through and is not varied by the volume knob. The amp will have to be on as the input selection is done by IC's and require power, older amplifiers used mechanical switches so you didn't need to turn them on.

stevee1966

Sep 21, 2007
Visit site
nima said:
Usually the amp (eg. Roksan) doesn't even need to be turned on.

If my headphone amp is connected to my Roksan amp, then surely the Roksan must be turned on or there is going to be no signal running through it from my cd player. I'm even more confused now ???

Please could someone explain how to connect a headphone amp to an integrated amp which does not have a headphone jack, and in simple terms, explain how it all works ?

Thanks

stevee1966

Sep 21, 2007
Visit site
eggontoast said:
stevee1966 said:

This is correct, you will need your amplifier turned on, select the source as normal and just turn the volume down on the Roksan. When you select the source on the amplifier it will be sent out of the 'Rec-Out' to the headphone amplifier, it is a fixed line level pass through and is not varied by the volume knob. The amp will have to be on as the input selection is done by IC's and require power, older amplifiers used mechanical switches so you didn't need to turn them on.

That all makes more sense. You posted just as i was typing my 'even more confused' reply, so ignore that one.

Thank you

Now just a case of choosing a headphone amp, though as i'm looking to spend as little as possible i've narrowed down to Schiit Magni or Project Headbox S, and then the bigger mindfield of which headphones to buy !!!!

nima

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
I'd buy a head-amp and just find a dealre that stocks some AKGs, Beyerdynamics and Sennheisers, auditon the models in my price bracket, also try one model below and one above. Job done.

I wouldn't even read any reviews, because when it comes to headphones, I think they are irrelevant.

TRENDING THREADS