HDTV Viewable Screen Size - Same as CRT?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I measured the viewable screen size of my JVC 28" CRT and it came out at 26". I've never measured it before and was a bit miffed that it came out 2" shorter!?. Do current LCD's / Plasma's share the same habit or do you get the full 'quoted' screen size to view? Cheers!

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
TV screen sizes are measured diagonally, which could be where your missing inches have gone....

LCD and plasma screens also have a slightly larger viewable area than CRTs, as they typically have much smaller screen-surrounds.

A

Anonymous

Hi Clare

Yep, that's how I've measured it. I've got one of the 5 year old Interiart JVC's with the green frame around the screen so maybe the frame is covering the screen more than usual? Maybe a 32" LCD will make a bigger (viewing) difference than I previously thought.

Thanks very much!

A

Anonymous

Yes, I think viewable area for CRTs is about 2" less than the real screen size (my 32" philips gives just 30" viewable area).

A

Anonymous

32" = 30", a bit like size zero girls. They shouldn't really exist at all! ;-)

Dazmb

Aug 26, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="starling"]I measured the viewable screen size of my JVC 28" CRT and it came out at 26". I've never measured it before and was a bit miffed that it came out 2" shorter!?. Do current LCD's / Plasma's share the same habit or do you get the full 'quoted' screen size to view? Cheers![/quote]

Do we have a definative answer on this? My Panny 28" CRT is 26" diagonally. But if I bought a 26" LCD it would really be 26" in size, not 24" as (just like TFT PC monitors) there is no screen border. So people can downsize without downsizing in effect ...

Andy TW

Jul 13, 2007
Visit site
The viewable screen size of an LCD or Plasma should be the size quoted .The loss of inches with a CRT is because the quoted size is usually the diagonal size of the tube used and not just for the area which can display a picture.My Panasonic TH-37PX70 measures 37 inches diagonally, wheras my old "28 inch" Panasonic CRT had a viewable diagonal of just over 26 inches.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts