HDR (High Dynamic Range) help !!!

Highlander

Oct 22, 2015
Visit site
Can anybody clarify this for me. I want to purchase a Samsung 9000 series SUHD which along with HDPC 2.2 is HDMI 2.0a capable (HDR). Samsung specifications indicate it is built in but on enquiringly with Samsung they keep telling me when devices ( such as new ultra HD blu Ray players become available early 2016 a firmware update will be needed, so I am confused. Also will existing HDMI 2.0 leads carry HDMi2.0a or will need leads be required? My confusion is that I assumed the HDMI ports on TV / receiver / ultra HD blu Ray player would need to be HDMI2.0 a built in rather than have an upgrade, or firmware update, please forgive me if this sounds obvious to you !!!

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
I am pretty sure the firmware update will be to do with processing of the HDR signals rather than anything to do with hardware such as HDMI ports, I also pretty sure its carried on a standard HDMI cable

If you really want to be HDR future proof might be an idea to wait until IFA early next year when the formal standards are released to see if the set you intend to buy will conform to these standards. Its only a couple of months now although a new toy such as a TV is great for the Xmas holidays

Highlander

Oct 22, 2015
Visit site
Thanks Ellisdj , it's just that I want the tv for Christmas as you say, but wanted to check out if it was HDR ready or an update be required

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
From what I have read HDR is just a data packet that accompanies the normal digital signal - so it wont need more bandwidth inside the cable or even plugs,

Compatability is more to do with decoding of the signal and having the right chipset / signal path inside the kit to do it - I think that comes with 2.0a spec but I would 100% check that is correct - dont just take my word for it.

This is how some tv's have become hdr enabled late this year from firmare that are tv's that were released earlier this year from Sony and Samsung.

However No such update for their customers who spent nearly £10bags on a Sony Projector this year also, so we will see if that happens to my PJ or if the internals of the PJ wont have it - or the Internals of Sony are too greedy to allow support for it :)

Joe10155

Oct 25, 2008
Visit site
You can find all sorts of things about HDMI including 2.0a at this website:

http://www.hdmi.org

The "knowledge base" section has an overview of HDMI2.0a category
regular_smile.gif

Highlander

Oct 22, 2015
Visit site
Many thanks Joe 10155, I had looked at the HDMI website (before posting)the FAQ section does seem to indicate that existing high speed HDMI leads can handle HDMI2.0 as I expected, but it is not clear with regard to HDMI 2.0a, so that part of my original post still puzzles me, but thanks

Highlander

Oct 22, 2015
Visit site
Many thanks alantigger, I am gratefukl for links & from that it can be assumed that HDMI 2.0a will be supported by HDMI 2.0 but its not categoric, I want to purchase a new HDMI lead that is HDMI 2.0a capable for HDR & at the moment I am still unsure, I have emailed two large HDMI suppliers & even they don't know !

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts