HDMI leads...

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

idc:
OK, so here is a theory as to why one HDMI cable can be different from another and so produce a different result. My source of my theory is an advert for a QED HDMI cable in last months What hifi (quote your sources). 'In an HDMI cable the signal changes direction around 4.5 billion times a second, so it is fully accepted that errors will occur.....HDMI products use complicated electronic error correction....simply to eliminate the risk of such errors....'. So QED state they provide 'significantly higher levels of headroom in our HDMI cables-extra tolerance.........to minimise any risk of signal error.'

From previous posts there does appear to an acceptance that errors can occur, but over long runs of cable. QED are stating that errors occur at all times and the action that they take to reduce such errors. Could it be a case that errors do occur over short runs and do QED's claims make scientific sense?

Del Smith, please share your thoughts, cable, your mind or both acting together!

Well...alright then, as it's the 100th post on the subject.

I had 10m of Profigild PGV1010 going into my PJ, at the recent Bristol show (Loved the show by the way)I bought 15m of QED Qunex cable.
My thoughts were if it isn't better than what I have then at least I can move the PJ back a bit so it's not such an eye sore, so it wouldn't be a waist in that respect.
Anyway before going in head first I did a test between the two cables, my receiver has two outputs and the PJ has upto three inputs, so what I did was freeze a picture on my Sky HD box and flicked between two of the inputs on the PJ.
The difference wasn't massive but I did see a difference straight away, and then swapped the outputs on the receiver end to see if the difference might be there.

I then got the misses to have a look and tell me if she could see a difference, her answer was the same as what I thought, so I wasn't going mad.

The difference that we could both see was not the quality of the detail but the vibrancy of the colours, the definition was the same. As for sound, it's not used on the PJ so can't answer that one but I will say that at the moment the inputs to my receiver doesn't have top rated cables but I shall get at least one to test the audio side of things.

Will also try some mains conditioning as well soon.

A

Anonymous

Hi,

Did you test using the same input on the projector? If not then did you swap inputs on the projector? My TV stores different picture settings for each input.

A

Anonymous

beaverme:
Hi,

Did you test using the same input on the projector? If not then did you swap inputs on the projector? My TV stores different picture settings for each input.

Tried all the inputs to the PJ, same result.

idc

Thanks Del. I run my upgrades (to make sure they are upgrades) past the wife to give the subject a bit of objectivity. It is only fair that I do that, as she shows me her new upgraded clothes and shoes to see if she looks better in them than her old ones!

Your comments about a difference, but not a big one and to only the picture sums up the whole debate IMHO. The language used to describe the differences suggest a greater change than is actually the case. Different set ups will have different differences, if that is not to clumsy. Some will not see or hear any difference at all and sometimes I think that the sceptics, when they argue it is all in the mind, should apply that argument to themselves as well.

TRENDING THREADS