New TV + old(ish) amp + early BluRay player = confusion!

PJ1200

Jan 4, 2008
Visit site
I am on the verge of updating my old TV and purchasing the much hyped and talked about Panna 50 inch GT50. This TV appears to have every option pretty much available and obviously opens the door to a new world of 3D television!

I have an oldish amp - Denon AVR-2310 (which I am very happy with) and it currently has a very early Blu-Ray player - Panna BD-30 from memory. I also have SkyHD and an Apple TV (2) plugged into it.

Obviously the new TV provides the 3D option, but I have a couple of questions on how to make this reality.

1) How can I get to watch Sky3D? I understand this may not be 'full' 3D so it should 'pass through' my amp as normal and the new TV should do what it needs to do to process it. Is this right - or complete nonsense!?

2) I may look to upgrade my BR player and I am assuming I should opt for one that has duel HDMI outputs - 1 to plug into my amp and the other into the TV to (again) 'pass through' the 3D video image direct to the TV. Is this right?

3) Do I need to be careful which HDMI leads I opt for? I am looking to put the TV on the wall and will be using my own 5 metre QED HDMI (which I think is 1.3) to plug into the TV and amp (should I upgrade this to 1.4 version?). I was then going to purchase a second 5 metre length HDMI (1.4? from ThatCable or is it worth spending £80 on an AudioQuest one!?) and also getting a Ethernet cable to plug into the TV and a compatible router extender). Is this right?

I'm a bit confused by all this, so any help would be very much apprecaited!

Thanks

PJ

1) I've heard that too. Best to check if you can get Sky 3D via your amp.

2) Yes, you're right.

3) Just look for "high speed HDMI" which should pass 3D. ThatCable is good enough; you don't have to spend more on cables. You'll struggle to see any performance improvement with expensive cables.

AnotherJoe

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
Sky3D works with any amp that supports 720p or higher as it just uses side-by-side. The amp doesnt need to know the picture is 3D.

The 3D picture ends up being 640x720 or 960x1080 (the horizontal resolution is halved).

You could also use a 3D blu-ray with a single HDMI if it has analog outs.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts