HDMI cable attributes

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
I don't want to start yet another cable debate but if the thread goes that way then I am sorry.

HDMI cables are given attributes such as deeper/less bass. Thin treble/bright. Solid midrange etc. Solid colours. Great contrast etc.

I would never be able to differentiate these minor differences (assuming they do exist) yet advertising and 'press' regularly make these judgements. Are my ears/eyes different to these professionals. I write this worrying aboit the credibility of these opinions if in this area then in others. I hesitate to press 'send' ....

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
RobinKidderminster said:
I don't want to start yet another cable debate but if the thread goes that way then I am sorry.
And exactly what other sort of way do you think this thread is going to go?

HDMI cables are given attributes such as deeper/less bass. Thin treble/bright. Solid midrange etc. Solid colours. Great contrast etc.

I would never be able to differentiate these minor differences (assuming they do exist) yet advertising and 'press' regularly make these judgements. Are my ears/eyes different to these professionals. I write this worrying aboit the credibility of these opinions if in this area then in others. I hesitate to press 'send' ....

This is the sort of thing Max would "innocently" ask just to get his personal vendetta up and running again. Can't believe you asked this thinking it would end in anything other than a EDITEDstorm.

EDIT: whoops, that one slipped through somehow!

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Fair comment Lhc.. :cry:

I guess my (poorly expressed) point is less to do with cables but more to do with the ability to see/hear what must be very small differences.

Regretting my post already.

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
light-blue-touchpaper-and-retire.png

Tear Drop

Apr 23, 2008
Visit site
RobinKidderminster said:
I guess my (poorly expressed) point is less to do with cables but more to do with the ability to see/hear what must be very small differences.

Your post would be relevant in any part of the forum. This type of listening, let's call it critical listening, is merely a skill. The whole notion that some people have 'golden ears', or that hifi journos possess some gift which lesser mortals do not, is ridiculous. Critical listening, like any other skill, can be learned and developed, all it takes is time and the serious desire to do so.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts