Upgrading from an old Yamaha RX-V800RDS, RX-V673 a good choice or look at RX-A1020?

whiskey

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
I finally think the time has come to upgrade my trusty old Yamayha RX-V800RDS. Even though I bought it back in 2001 (or thereabouts), it is still serving me well and I very much like the way it sounds, however there are three reasons to upgrade:

1: With the increasing number of media players (cable receiver, media pc, game console etc) I would like to have hdmi support/switching

2: It regularly "forgets" settings when turned on, so that the speakers or effect settings are off

3. I would like to make use of the newer audio formats

And of course, I just want to ;)

But since it has been so long since I bought my current set that I'm lost as to what price range I should start to look at. These are the ones I'm now looking at, price in euro in the Netherlands:

The Yamaha RX-V673 - €400 -What HiFi product of the year in 2012

The Pioneer SC-1223 - €800 - New model that replaces the award winning SC-LX56

The Yamaha RX-A1020 - €835 - Current What HiFi Best Buy in £700-£1500 range

The Pioneer SC-LX56 - €950 - 2012 What HiFi Best Buy in £700-£1500 range

My speaker setup consists of two Monitor Audio Silver S5 and a Silver RSLCR Center in front and two Bronze BRFX as surround speakers. The sub is an MJA Pro 50. I'm looking to at least keep the same sound quality and might upgrade in the future to 7.2 and/or 4K (but not the near future).

I'm leaning towards Yamaha as I'm still very happy with sound of my current receiver, but I will not exclude the Pioneers just yet.

Will the V673 be a significant and fitting upgrade or is one of the others a better fit for my speakers? I also saw a thread mentioning the new A1030 that might be interesting.

Any advice, experience or insight is greatly appreciated!

Yamaha RX-A1020/1030 belong to the superior Aventage range & much better than RX-V673/675. Demo if possible to see if the improvement justifies the extra premium. In my opinion it does (not tested with your speakers though).

whiskey

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the input. I do intend to demo and I'm interested to hear the difference. I'm especially curious as to how they compare to my current receiver.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts