HDMI - 1080P Question

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
Right strange questions - I have just noticed my 10m hdmi cable is not guaranteed as carrying a 1080p signal over 10m - this runs from my av amp to my projector so carries no sound - my projector would automatically upscale any signal sent to it to 1080p to output it if receiving a lesser signal or just pass through original signal at 1080p - how do i know if my projector is receiving a full 1080p signal from the source and not dropping to 720p because of the legth of the cable and then being rescaled to 1080p by the projector?

Tom Moreno

Nov 30, 2008
Visit site
matengawhat:
Right strange questions - I have just noticed my 10m hdmi cable is not guaranteed as carrying a 1080p signal over 10m - this runs from my av amp to my projector so carries no sound - my projector would automatically upscale any signal sent to it to 1080p to output it if receiving a lesser signal or just pass through original signal at 1080p - how do i know if my projector is receiving a full 1080p signal from the source and not dropping to 720p because of the legth of the cable and then being rescaled to 1080p by the projector?

The cable will not drop the resolution to 720P. A resolution change can only be made by a scaling device. If your cable is too long what will happen is you may experience difficulties achieving picture lock at 1080P, otherwise you may drop pixels within the 1080P picture or other forms of data loss.

A

Anonymous

Are you having any difficulties? If not, I wouldn't worry about it.

I run a (cheap) 10 metre HDMI cable to my 1080p projector too, never gave me any trouble and (as Andrew pointed out) the menu should tell you what resolution the source is passing.

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
not having any problems but just suddenly dawned on me - will check the menu as would be good to know

had read somewhere that there would be artifact noise and then somewhere else that said the signal over long distances could drop to 720p

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts