HD PVR Freesat

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi Guys,

Do any of you have views on Humax FoxsatHDR500 compared to Panasonic DMR-X350? I have a Panny Freesat TV so obvious choice would be DMR-X350 as this will operate on Viera link, but HDD is small at 250 gb and I can live without the DVD recording as this doesn't record HD anyway. Both prices are now similarly under £300 but understand DMR-X350 is being discontinued and I wonder why. If it's being updated then presumably knowing Panny the new model will be extortionate. So, what are other features to compare you think I should consider?

A

Anonymous

thanks bob.g but as far as i know digistream only do freeview HD and can't get this for another 12 mnths in my area according to Freeview site

bob.g

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
ah sorry, my fault. I misread Freeview for Freesat. But I do suspect that you can Freeview already, unless you live in a really remote location. I presume you've tried the Postcode checker on the Freeview website ?

laserman16

Nov 23, 2007
Visit site
I have the DMR-XS350. Its got Gracenote database built in if thats any use to you and also Panasonics Vieracast but thats a bit limited at the moment. As you say its only got a 250gb hd but that will give you about 37 hrs of HD recording capability or about 105 hrs of SD recording. Also has a USB port and SD slot so you can upload photos or music if you so wish. I find the DVD recorder quite useful for achiving and it makes a pretty decent job of a good HD broadcast once its been converted, suppose its because its starting off with a good copy.

Sorry, no views on the Humax though.

If you need anymore info on the Panny just ask.

A

Anonymous

thanks bob.g did do checker and HD not available 'til sept 2011

A

Anonymous

thanks for that laserman16 it's definitely tempting 'cos one or two places still got stocks for just under £300. Still like to hear from any Humax owners first though

daveh75

Personally i'd save the money and go for the standard 320GB model of the Humax Foxsat-HDR which can currently be had for £225 (though it's worth keeping an eye on the price as it's occasionally discounted to just over £200) or by an 'A grade' (store returned/factory refurbished) from Humax Direct @ £179

If the drive starts to fill up, you can always transfer/archive SD recordings to USB drive to free up space,

Or (when it's out of warranty/ or don't mind voiding the warranty) fit a larger drive. I put a 1TB drive in mine when i first got it, but other users have since successfully added 2TB drives. Or do the eSATA conversion on it, so if the drive becomes full you can just swap it out.

A

Anonymous

Thanks daveh75. Did look at site eSATA but it just lost me; sorry not that techy.

Now found a supplier for 500gb Humax @£253 inc delivery/vat and they do cheap dish installation, so will probably go for that.

Many thanks to you all for your help

A

Anonymous

Hitechdumb:thanks for that laserman16 it's definitely tempting 'cos one or two places still got stocks for just under £300. Still like to hear from any Humax owners first though

Hi Tech
emotion-1.gif

My father in-law owns a Humax Foxsat and he is very pleased with it all round. Oh, apart from having to get a replacement Remote as the original broke. Picture quality and UI are great. I have the Freview version (HDR Fox T2) and can also highly recommend it. there are obvious similarities coming from the same manufacturer.

Nick

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts