HD AV Receiver with built in wi-fi?

whiteyav

Feb 6, 2009
Visit site
Hello,

Is it likely that AV receivers will soon come with wi-fi built in?

I want to upgrade my av receiver in the next year or so to take advantage of HD sound but are holding off to see what the next release of Sony receivers are like, and was also wondering if they will have built in wi-fi?

This would be great to be able to stream music straight to the receiver from a NAS or PC etc.

cheers

Whiteyav

d4v3pum4

Nov 15, 2008
Visit site
I think there are a couple with wifi. You can always add a wireless bridge to a network receiver to make it 'wireless'. I still think a dedicated device (I use Squeezebox) is the way to go.

A

Anonymous

I think there may be a wireless option for some of the new Sonys.

My Yamaha RX-V3900 is connected via Cat 5 to my wireless router (with built in 4-port 10/100 switch), which in turn means I can stream wireless music from my laptop as this is on the same network. I also have my Panasonic BluRay plugged into the same router for BD Live access. This was extremely simple to set up. If your router is near your AV set up, then it's a simple way to do it.

Mine is an 802.11g router, so runs at 54Mbps. I think the more "wireless" connections you have at the same time, the more chance of loss of data, interruption. Not such a problem when browsing the web, or printing (I also have a wireless printer), but anything which you can spot a "blip" would be a pain, like streaming music. as it is a 4 port switch, the 4 wired ports will give you much closer to full speed simultaneously. Needs wires, but performance is much more likely to be better/more predictable/constant, etc.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Almost all the of the current Sony receivers - and even some of the packaged HCiB systems and TV stands - are able to access music from a wi-fi network using an adapter plugged into the modular DMPort connector they provide.

The wi-fi unit is the TDM-NC1, and it adds about £130 to the price of the receiver.

TRENDING THREADS