HD AUDIO PASS THROUGH AV RECEIVERS

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
What AV Receivers between the 300-500 quid mark, are able to pass through HD Audio-from a source that natively processes HD /DTS MASTER AUDIO Dolby etc (for example Panasonic Blue Ray Player DMP-BD30) either through HDMI or other methods?

Thanx!

d4v3pum4

Nov 15, 2008
Visit site
Sorry but I don't understand the question. Why would you want to passthrough the audio, surely the main function of a receiver is to handle audio? Where do you want to send this audio to if it's not the receiver?

If you mean which receivers can process the decoded HD audio sent as LPCM, then any HDMI receiver with on board decoding of HD audio will obviously do it. Current non HDMI decoding amps that can handle it include Pioneer 918, Onkyo 576, Yamaha 463 (5.1 only) and 563, Marantz SR4002. Older models such as Sony 910, Denon 1908 and Yamaha 761 can also do this.

Please clarify the above points and post back and I'm sure someone will be able to offer further suggestions.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for your reply. I will get back asap, as soon as I a little more educated on the whole thing, as being new to it all-I am a little confused!!

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Actually there is one reason for asking this: suppose you have Sky HD, and you connect the hdmi to your amp (although I know you don't need to for the audio, the optical needs to be connected, but stay with me here!) and the amp to the TV.

Now, say my other half comes along, who's morbidly terrified of technology (she is, I'm not kidding) and is happy to switch the TV and the Sky box on, but doesn't want to touch the amp because she's afraid of breaking it. If the amp is left off, will it still pass the hdmi audio and video through to the TV? When I say the amp is off, I mean it's still plugged into the mains, we don't unplug everything when it's not being used. Or can you only watch Sky on the TV in this situation if the amp is switched on?

I'm just curious because we don't have Sky HD yet, or an hdmi-equipped amp, so I can't try it.

Or indeed an HD TV... but we will and she WILL be upset if the amp has to be on for her to watch Corrie. So will I for that matter, I don't want that rubbish polluting my nice new amp and speakers...

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Andrew Everard:In all the receivers I've encountered, the power needs to be on for the HDMI to pass signal from input to output.

Bum.

In that case I'll have to HDMI from Sky HD to the TV and just have the optical connection to the amp, SWMBO won't like it otherwise!

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
err, no, probably not!
emotion-6.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts