HD audio from AV receiver with no HDMI input

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
My AV amp is a Primare SP21 which sounds fabulous both in DTS and DD1.5 format. However, without HDMI input in my amp, I have a problem to connect my PS3 or Panasonic DMP BD 30 player via HDMI. My only option is digital coaxial, optical or 5.1 analogue output.What can be done so that I can have my Dolby Tru HD and DTS HD sound when I play Bluray disc and I do not intend to change my Primare amp now.

A

Anonymous

Sounds like a typical problem for many people who don't want to change their receivers/amps. My understanding is that with your current set-up you won't be able to get Dolby True HD etc. as neither the PS3 nor BD30 internally decodes.

Andy Madden

Staff member
Feb 3, 2006
Visit site
Hi Yipcheah,

i'm afraid your only option is a Blu-ray player that can decode HD formats internally and output them over 5.1ch analogue outputs, (such as the DMP-BD50). You can't output them over coaxial or optical and the BD30 can't decode Dolby TrueHD or DTS HD Master Audio internally.

A

Anonymous

Yipcheah, collectus is wrong about the ps3, it does decode Dolby hd & Dts ma hd into linear pcm, but only sent via Hdmi not optical sadly.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the information. However, one question here is that if I went ahead to get the Pana 50 which I understand does DTS HD and Tru HD audio decoding in the player ,does that mean that I can have LPCM HD sound by connecting the Pana 50 analogue 6.1 output directly to my AV reciever. Will the sound quality be lower compared to when the Pana 50 is connected to a AV receiver which have a HDMI 1.3 connection.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
No, it won't be LPCM sound, as it's an analogue output. But yes the player will offer high quality sound from all the HD formats using this methof.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the reply. What do you mean by high quality sound. Is it lossless sound quality in analogue signal and will it be as good as those when transmitted through HDMI using bit stream or LPCM signal. Assuming all system using 5.1 system.

A

Anonymous

My Sharp decodes DD-HD on-board and I output it into my Yam via 5.1 analogue and it sounds terrific. Looking forward to the time when I can lose the spaghetti!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts