Just came across your review of the akg k712 pro hp's.(and very good it is to)..how are you getting on with them...my akg k550's are falling apart now and I'm looking for something decent as a replacement....I was going to try the sennhieser hd600 as audio affair have knocked £100 off original rrp...BUT..I'm not too sure on my superuniti's ability to drive such a hp....the akg's look a bit more amp friendly....are they?cheers for any help friend.

insider9

Thanks very much for kind words. After owning them for about a year I eventually moved them on. There were several factors relating to this and neither of them was dissatisfaction just habits.

First of all I didn't listen to headphones. Much prefer speakers and when made the jump to my current pair as soon as I first got the Densen and then Hegel the level of fidelity was stunning. Headphones couldn't compare but that's preference. Second reason was their open back nature. On a rare occasion when I listened to them in the late evening there would come a point my wife would come in a start complaining it's too loud. It's a drawback of listening room in the bedroom and wanting to listen way past midnight.

So these are very practical reason. I simply don't keep the component I don't use. And I no longer use headphones for Hifi. Just at the gym for non critical listening. But overall it's a very good headphone to have. If you like K550 these are a natural step up. Easy to drive however they prefer better amplification. One word of caution. I didn't think they paired particularly well with Chord Mojo. Combination sounded slightly bass rich and low mids congested.

Oh and one final though I'd look into a headphone that will have a similar sound signature to your system. And I don't just mean tonally but consider dynamic expression how vocals are presented, their musicality etc. Compared to Naim some would say AKG may be safe sounding so would be worth looking at other brands. Probably best to ask Dale at headphone section.

Thanks...I'm pretty much the same..I prefer to listen via the speakers.....but when it's late I need to get the phones out.....I've also previously used some grado Sr 125's and then some 325i's which tbh were a little harsh for me and that was through a rega ear mkii...the akg's were very safe sounding through this amp via a nait xs....hence the grados.....but since moving on to the superuniti....the akg's sounded very thin and nasal with vocals to start with...(..I bought the superuniti used from loud and clear in Glasgow in the summer btw...)so I'm wondering if the headphone output has never been used on it as over the past few days it's been really opening up and my k550's are starting to sound like I remember they did....but I still need some new cans these are falling to bits.lol.thanks for the response insider.

insider9

I'll be interested to know what you get. I fancied some Shure SRH-1540 for a while but decided not to pull the trigger. These Sennheisers do look good value though and looking at some measurements they seem similarly voiced to K712

insider9 said:
https://www.rtings.com/headphones/1-1/graph#327/1184/325

Well I sent naim a little email asking about compatible impedance levels for the superuniti on Saturday.....they kindly got back to me today with advice of hp's in the 16-600 ohm region shouldn't be a problem for the superuniti's headphone socket to drive......although I did forget to also check on sensitivity....but very kind of them to get back so quickly considering the superuniti is now a discontinued product.......just thought I'd share this incase anyone would be interested.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts