Have you tried waxing your components today?

KiwiMoto

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
Hi,i've taken all my components out of my rack today and used a premium grade automotive wax on the casework.The wax i've used is a black,coloured type that enhances the black casework.
The end result is a lovely,glistening finish that protects the casework from corrosion and moisture penertation.I live in a close proximity to the beach so salt spray is a real nuisance to all household items and tends to discolour and rust things extremely quickly!

The real upside though i think will be to test the equipment once it's all back up and running to see if i can notice an improvement in sound quality.I believe the slickness of the casework now could possibly help reduce vibration,and high frequency reflections.

I am wondering if any other forum members have ever tried this,and what results they may have achieved?

Petherick

Oct 29, 2008
Visit site
I have a problem with this.

Most of my equipment is silver. Will the silver wax sound as good as the black or should I change everything in order to improve the tone?*

*SWIDT? I bet you haven't heard the word 'tone' used in this context since the 70s!

A

Anonymous

I take mine to the local car wash..they will wash & wax them for £6 and then hoover them and put a nice air freshner on to make them smell really lovely..:rofl:

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
You say that the wax will protect your kit from corrosion and moisture penetration.

Where do you have it set-up? In your bathroom?!!

Edit: Mis- :doh: read the bit about the salt spray

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Having a good clean-up of the hi-fi and cables/rack (and the room they are in) is going to make you feel better. Your system will sound better when you feel better. (A bit like driving a car - after it's been cleaned and polished - feels better.)

Nothing to do with any property of the wax. I don't think piano-gloss finished speakers (for instance) sound any better than a matt or 'silk' varnished pair.

A

Anonymous

I took the advice to add some polish to my equipment, so I took the back off my Samsung 50" Plasma TV to give it a bit of a polish with a duster and good quality beeswax polish. While sparying the polish over something that looks like a board covered by funny looking cylindrical things, there was a very bright flash with a bang. Now the thing will not work apart from the sound, I really don't know what I have done as all I did was polish it and why did I get that flash and bang as the thing was unpluged while I was inside, how can I repair it.

:wall: :O :shifty: :rofl:

camcroft

Dr Lodge said:
I took the advice to add some polish to my equipment, so I took the back off my Samsung 50" Plasma TV to give it a bit of a polish with a duster and good quality beeswax polish. While sparying the polish over something that looks like a board covered by funny looking cylindrical things, there was a very bright flash with a bang. Now the thing will not work apart from the sound, I really don't know what I have done as all I did was polish it and why did I get that flash and bang as the thing was unpluged while I was inside, how can I repair it.

eggontoast

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Dr Lodge said:

Just replace that cylindrical thing with anything of the same size and shape, you will probably need a transformer in an hour or so :rofl:

A

Anonymous

I keep bees in my audio equipment. The waxy hive protects the sensitive circuit boards whilst protecting the surfaces from sea salt when I take my amplifier diving. One thing though, despite cleaning the ground contacts I now have an 'orrid buzzing noise ...

visionary

Apr 4, 2008
Visit site
Dr Lodge said:

Note to self: do not read threads like this whilst eating your lunch. Heimlich manouevre anyone?

camcroft

Dr Lodge said:
I took the advice to add some polish to my equipment, so I took the back off my Samsung 50" Plasma TV to give it a bit of a polish with a duster and good quality beeswax polish. While sparying the polish over something that looks like a board covered by funny looking cylindrical things, there was a very bright flash with a bang. Now the thing will not work apart from the sound, I really don't know what I have done as all I did was polish it and why did I get that flash and bang as the thing was unpluged while I was inside, how can I repair it. Were you listening to this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMTvJJfuIFk at the time

KiwiMoto

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
Andrew Everard said:
Worth pointing out there's a significant danger of any such treatment damaging the paint finish on many products.
Why is that?Surely there is no difference to using wax on your car,all it does is help protect the paint from harmful UV rays (my kit is quite close to a window.It gets direct sunlight every morning).

baz

Aug 27, 2011
Visit site
Can't help but ponder on the immaculate timing of this thread, bearing in mind the recent

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/best-forum-topic

Great stuff !

gbhsi1

Mar 5, 2008
Visit site
ha ha...I thought my deep freezing of one of my cd's was a bit out there but wax making your hi fi sound better - its definitely not April - I think you are serious...oh dear!

gbhsi1

Mar 5, 2008
Visit site
Highfield said:
I keep bees in my audio equipment. The waxy hive protects the sensitive circuit boards whilst protecting the surfaces from sea salt when I take my amplifier diving. One thing though, despite cleaning the ground contacts I now have an 'orrid buzzing noise ...

ha ha :clap:

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
KiwiMoto said:
Hi,i've taken all my components out of my rack today and used a premium grade automotive wax on the casework.The wax i've used is a black,coloured type that enhances the black casework. The end result is a lovely,glistening finish that protects the casework from corrosion and moisture penertation.I live in a close proximity to the beach so salt spray is a real nuisance to all household items and tends to discolour and rust things extremely quickly! The real upside though i think will be to test the equipment once it's all back up and running to see if i can notice an improvement in sound quality.I believe the slickness of the casework now could possibly help reduce vibration,and high frequency reflections. I am wondering if any other forum members have ever tried this,and what results they may have achieved?

Aside from the juicy dangled bait (i really hope you aren't serious about the last bit), silicone spray works well to protect surfaces and silicone is non conductive, so PCBs can be protected with it also, so you could give the case insides a light spray too.

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
KiwiMoto said:
Why is that?Surely there is no difference to using wax on your car,all it does is help protect the paint from harmful UV rays (my kit is quite close to a window.It gets direct sunlight every morning).

Factor 30 and curtains are your saviour then.

jesus wept it cant get any worse than this thread,can it ?.

Floyd over n out . :wave:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts