Has Sonos competition

Silverleaf

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
As you can see I am planning a new HiFi system, seriously based on network streaming.

I thought of a setup with the new Marantz NA7004, but some people [:O], advise the Sonos solution above the Marantz.

Appart from all functionalities, what to exepect from sound quality? Can I consider a Sonos as a serious streaming device, or is just a "toy" compared to systems from typical HiFi manufacturers?

The NA7004 can also be operated by using an Apple app on your Iphone or other compatible device. Furthermore the NA7004 has an integrated Tuner,while Sonso depends on internet radio.

Regards

matthewpiano

I think you owe it to yourself to properly explore and audition both solutions. Yes, Sonos is a serious bit of hi-fi but the Marantz might also be just as good and it is really vital to spend some time exploring the sound, features and user interfaces of both products so that you can make an informed decision.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I personally don't think that Sonos has much to worry about - even if you add a good DAC to bring it's quality up to the likes of emerging media boxes. Ongoing updates will keep Sonos most people's first choice.

Silverleaf

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
The Marantz is not in the shop yet, so I have to base myself on the pdf manuals etc... But I will defenately spend time studing the details from both the Sonos as well as the NA7004. Unfortunately there are no reviews available yet from the NA7004.

The NA7004 has a Tuner build in and streaming functionality, while the Sonos fully relies on streaming, either from your own music server (NAS) or from an internet station. When using the Sonos, it's normal to listen to radio via the internet, while I thought I would still need a separate tuner. I have to get used to the idea to listen to the radio using the internet, instead of using a simple old school Tuner, with only a few buttons to operate
emotion-11.gif

I am not afraid of networking etc...but I generaly like simple solutions for simple tasks. Its good to hear that Sonos can be considered as a HiFi solution.

manicm

I'm still scratching my head as to why a dealer would recommend the Sonos over the Marantz, or vice versa.

They are similar products but aimed at different audiences. The Marantz (tuner nothwithstanding) is a pure streaming device which is similar to a Linn DS. Sonos enables simpler and much multi-room playback.

Also keep in mind the Sonos won't play hi-res audio at all, if you ever want to investigate it.

The Sonos is different to the Marantz, and Linn DS and Yamaha's new streamer etc etc etc.

I maintain that particular dealer was unprofessional for not fully informing you of your audio streaming options. Shocking really.

It's not about the Marantz being better than the Sonos, but about what your needs are and what options are available to you.

To just say product X is better than product Y is complete rubbish.

Silverleaf

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
manicm:

I'm still scratching my head as to why a dealer would recommend the Sonos over the Marantz, or vice versa.

They are similar products but aimed at different audiences. The Marantz (tuner nothwithstanding) is a pure streaming device which is similar to a Linn DS. Sonos enables simpler and much multi-room playback.

Also keep in mind the Sonos won't play hi-res audio at all, if you ever want to investigate it.

The Sonos is different to the Marantz, and Linn DS and Yamaha's new streamer etc etc etc.

I maintain that particular dealer was unprofessional for not fully informing you of your audio streaming options. Shocking really.

It's not about the Marantz being better than the Sonos, but about what your needs are and what options are available to you.

To just say product X is better than product Y is complete rubbish.

You are right about that. The dealer is an authorised Sonos dealer and is not informed at all bout the streaming details from other manufacturers like Denon, Marantz or others.

A

Anonymous

Personally I have the Sonos system and could not be happier. You'll want to use the digital out to a good DAC. I have used the Squeezebox system; which works well. However if you are wanting several zones you will find the Sonos system to be superior.
I also had a couple of minor technical issues and found their customer support to be simply fantastic.

A

Anonymous

Its wonderful how technology moves at such a cracking pace nowadays. Especially when you compare it to "...how it was when I was knee high to mi dad".

Thankfully a limited choice and funding made my decision easier, when I was scouting round for a solution.

Today, if funds did allow, I'd have a long and difficult process to identify the best fit for me.

I just hope my setup will last my life-time. Because if it goes Bang/Bust in a few years time, I'll be too senile to catch up to the latest current trend.

Serenity

Silverleaf

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
Serenity:

Today, if funds did allow, I'd have a long and difficult process to identify the best fit for me.

I just hope my setup will last my life-time. Because if it goes Bang/Bust in a few years time, I'll be too senile to catch up to the latest current trend.

Serenity

You are right

(many) Years ago, I did try to follow the latest trend in computers I stopped because it's madness. Now I am in the position that I can afford my self a new decent sound system (the previous one is from the early 90's) and I stick to HiFi and no suround. I don't want to be domminated by digital incompatibilities with al kinds of digital formats, that are incompatible after a few years of use. A good universal disk player like the UD5005 will suit me for years, for audio and occasionaly blu-ray. However spending 800Euro's on a mediastreamer is a bit more tricky, especially when a manufacturer doesn't provide a firmware update to allow the use of a new service like Spotify.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts