Has anyone actually got / seen a GT60 yet???

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Audiofoolius

Aug 12, 2008
Visit site
Has anyone compared the 2D PQ of the GT60 with the ST60? I want to replace my Panasonic G15 42" set with a new plasma. First I had my mind set on the ST60 but the THX and ISF picture modes of the GT60 intrigue me somewhat. Is the GT60 really a clear step-up from the ST60 with regards to PQ?

Nick_Shepherd

Feb 14, 2008
Visit site
Hi there,

can the review team someone comment on how much better or not the Gt60 is over the Gt50 for just bluray picture quality...? Joe cox said that you could....

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
This review from Cnet http://reviews.cnet.co.uk/tvs/panasonic-tx-p42gt60b-review-50010976/ does compare (favourably!) the 42GT60 with its GT50 predecessor in two aspects, but not explicity for Blu-Ray quality, though overall they rate it very highly.

Nick_Shepherd

Feb 14, 2008
Visit site
Thanks sj....

It would be nice if one of the what hi fi reviewers could come back and answer some of questions...they said they would, and other sites reviewers do...

any chance guys?

D

Deleted member 2457

Still no GT60 on the John Lewis website! Has anyone got any up to date info on if they will or not? If they are going to stock it, surely it will appear in the next week? :?

gingersmarty

Aug 22, 2007
Visit site
Hi All,

Back to the original OP, picked up my new TV last week and WOW, even with rudimentery tinkering out of the box(THX Optimiser) the picture

is superb. I had no real plans to calibrate however i am definately going to, to squeeze the last drop out of it.

Watched Life of Pi over the weekend on sky HD and although i suspect it would look great on any TV it was at times

a staggering picture. The range of colour was unbelievable. Cant wait to run it in and then get the pros in (any recommendations would be appreciated, i live in Lancaster)

I could not care less about the sound, so far absolutely no down sides although from following several threads i may not yet be out of the woods.

For the money amazing :cheers:

rocketrazor

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
gingersmarty said:
I could not care less about the sound, so far absolutely no down sides although from following several threads i may not yet be out of the woods.

what do you mean by 'may not be out of the woods'.? Has the gt60 been reported as developing problems or are you referring to last years gt50 and the fact that the gt60 might be the same?

cheers

rocketrazor

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
gingersmarty said:

what do you mean by 'may not be out of the woods'.? Has the gt60 been reported as developing problems or are you referring to last years gt50 and the fact that the gt60 might be the same?

cheers

gingersmarty

Aug 22, 2007
Visit site
Hi

A clumsy statement i was referring to some reported issues with the GT50, to date i am unaware of issues with the GT60.(no doubt someone will now post a link)

Got the TV from Roy Jowett's in Colne, i enquired on the Tuesday, they needed to order one in and it arrived on the Thursday, great service and

great price including 5 year warranty.

As others have said it was a little cheaper in a couple of midland stores, however in the end i felt better getting one more locally in case of issues down the line.

j4mm3r

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
HI

Ive had the 50gt60 for a couple of weeks now, its my first plasma and 50"tv. Ive come from 42 & 46" Lcd/Led tvs.

Could I ask any of the panasonic owners about the 16:9 overscan feature.

I have my sky, xbox, boxee etc going through my denon avr, a setup ive had for a few years now. If I turn the 16:9 overscan off there is a slightly bigger gap at the sides ie it doesnt fit the screen even if its a 1080 signal. I can change the horizontal setting thing but that stretches the picture. So if i want the picture to fit i have to use the overscan, which zooms in slightly.

Most review sites turn this setting off (overscan) but how do they get the picture to fit the screen? Is there a setting where you can specify the egde of the screen? Does anyone else have this issue? On my two previous tv's i just had to set it to 16:9 and the picture would fit with no zoom needed.

Thanks

D

Deleted member 2457

rocketrazor said:
Says in stock, maybe others will soon to?

http://www.rgbdirect.co.uk/Products/Television/3D-Plasma-TV/Panasonic/TXP50GT60B

Yep, most shops do now, apart from John Lewis! :wall:

D

Deleted member 2457

j4mm3r said:
HI

Ive had the 50gt60 for a couple of weeks now, its my first plasma and 50"tv. Ive come from 42 & 46" Lcd/Led tvs.

Could I ask any of the panasonic owners about the 16:9 overscan feature.

I have my sky, xbox, boxee etc going through my denon avr, a setup ive had for a few years now. If I turn the 16:9 overscan off there is a slightly bigger gap at the sides ie it doesnt fit the screen even if its a 1080 signal. I can change the horizontal setting thing but that stretches the picture. So if i want the picture to fit i have to use the overscan, which zooms in slightly.

Most review sites turn this setting off (overscan) but how do they get the picture to fit the screen? Is there a setting where you can specify the egde of the screen? Does anyone else have this issue? On my two previous tv's i just had to set it to 16:9 and the picture would fit with no zoom needed.

Thanks

I don't change the settings me.

rocketrazor

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
gel said:
rocketrazor said:
Says in stock, maybe others will soon to?

http://www.rgbdirect.co.uk/Products/Television/3D-Plasma-TV/Panasonic/TXP50GT60B

Yep, most shops do now, apart from John Lewis! :wall:

im hoping my local retailer has so I can try and swap my gt50 for a gt60. Others I think it's money back and then I have the deli a of a 50 or 55"

rocketrazor

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
j4mm3r said:
Any other panny owners?
i have overscan turned off and I went through all my settings and turned it off on all. I can't stand the zoom in effect. I think the boarder you refer to depends on the broadcast. Sometimes I don't have any sometimes it's on the left and sometimes it's on the right. When watching a film with it off through the ps3 I have a full screen without overscan. Just make sure your tv aspect ratio is set to 16:9 and don't leave it as auto, that sometimes causes me an issue as it selects something like 14:9 :?

hope that helps

j4mm3r

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
Hi, thanks for your reply.

I'll have another look, I couldnt see anywhere I could set it to 16:9, the option I had was for overscan on or off, there was no specify aspect ie 14:9 or 16:9 etc. I'll have another look. but like i said if its off and there is a 1080 signal it doesnt always fill the screen. I'll have to play about more!

Cheers

D

Deleted member 2457

RGB have just included a free Blu-ray player in their price:

rocketrazor

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
j4mm3r said:
Hi, thanks for your reply.

I'll have another look, I couldnt see anywhere I could set it to 16:9, the option I had was for overscan on or off, there was no specify aspect ie 14:9 or 16:9 etc. I'll have another look. but like i said if its off and there is a 1080 signal it doesnt always fill the screen. I'll have to play about more!

Cheers

sorry, that's a setting on the remote, under the blue button

D

Deleted member 2457

I asked about the GT60 in John Lewis today again, and got told it is coming but we don't know when!
smiley-smile.gif

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
Sitting at my desk proofing our August issue Supertest of new 40-42in TVs including the Panasonic TX-P42GT60, up against rivals from Philips, Sony, Samsung and LG. An intriguing read
smiley-wink.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts