Harman Kardon HK990 or Cyrus 8 QX DAC or Cyrus 8a

L00k_C

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
I am a bit puzzled.... Haven't heard any of them.. I need your feedback...and trusted ears....

HK990 I can get new for 850 GBP (EISA awards 2009)

Cyrus 8a slightly used for 850GBP

Cyrus 8 QX slightly used for 1650 gbp

Can anyone help?

L00k_C

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
No real setup... want to start a proper one

currently Speakers JBL L890 (they are staying!!)

Rest

music through YAMAXA RX630rds and source Philips BDP800

Okay -- heard a lot of good things about HK two-channel amps from posters on here. Unfortunately dealers in my area are fairly sparse.

Have dem'd Cyrus previous model 8XP with MA GX100 and B&W PM1 and it sounded quite nice, but had nothing to compare it with.

As I'm not familiar with your speakers I couldn't say which (any brand) would work best. You'd need to hop down to a dealers. Haven't we had a similar conversation before?

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Why keep the speakers?

Only review I have seen of them implied they were better with low quality amps rather than more expensive separates.

The only way is to hear different systems and then decide.

L00k_C

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
I have just bought them... full range speakers and like the sound of them.. can go down and need no sub... The music I hear is rock, acoustic, modern...

Don't you like the speakers?

L00k_C

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
You are right and .... you are right....

JBL L890 are better (so they say) with lower end amps... but The one doesn't cancel the other.......

Yes I did have a previous request for appropriate amp for my speakers however now I have limited them to these amps...

BTW Harman Kardon is a parent company of JBL so they should go well... however with CYRUS I have the option to add power supplies, streamers and so on....

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
The HK990 is discontinued now but the RRP was £1099 but we sold for between £799 and £899. The HK will sound superb with the JBLs, if you can find one I would buy. The sound is well beyond the price.

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Oh, I see...

Well on your mains regenerator thread, you state:

L00k_C said:
Which mains regulators would you suggest (i will be using it for an Harman Kardon HK990)?

So I thought you had pulled the trigger on the amp (after two people recommended the HK), and wanted to share that with us. Quod non...

Crossie

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
Cyrus 8xpdqx seems over priced. Have a good look round and you should be able to get a much better price.

They are all good amps - need to listen. What speakers have you in mind as this will make a big difference to amp selection?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts