Cyrus 8 DAC enough for PMC Ob1 or twenty 24?

max337

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
Hi.

Firstly I realise these are two different types of speakers. One imo is more suited to refinement, the 24 and the Ob1 are still refined but with a bit more oomph and low end. I think the Ob1 might be more my cup of tea as I listen to electronic, 80s, Muse, Massive Attack etc but would the 24 fare with this kind of music, with oomph?

My real question regards powering either pair. I currently have an 8 DAC and whilst I'm sure it will be an improvement just for having better speakers, I'm wondering whether it would drive either sufficiently until the amp can be upgraded in a couple of months? I have driven Db1 well, Tb2 well and hazard 24s would be good, although I won't get the best out of them. I do worry about not being able to drive Ob1 sufficiently though as I've never owned this type of tri speaker?

I'm confused. Some guidance or experience would be appreciated.

Will both be driven adequately with my amp to last? Surely it's still an improvement? I do like a fuller sound. Depeche Mode for example does need that bass and am only assuming Ob1 is more suited to that for me but I'd love to hear other views. Thanks.

Imo you need to be spending circa 3-5k on a amplifier to do any of the speakers you mention any justice .....they crave power..good though the cyrus may be...I don't think it'll be up to the task of driving the pmc's with aplomb.Yes it will drive them and you'll get sound but you may be disappointed with the results.

max337

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
Hi. Thanks.

I intend to upgrade eventually to drive them hopefully to do them justice. I'm curious whether I'll be disappointed in the interim or whether I'd at least have an improvement over my current setup, Gb1s.

Unless it's bad in the interim I think I'll manage but don't want to go backwards, even for a couple of months.

It's just the speakers have popped up at a decent price and they won't stay available long.

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Having owned PMC OB1's in the past I can tell and they can be driven very well with amps like you Cyrus 8 and will sound very good indeed, but to get the absolute best out of them you will need a better more powerful amp with plenty of reserve power and current delivery.

Of the two speakers my preference would be the OB1's but I prefer the whole i series range to the 20 series.

You have already owned DB1's and TB2's so the OB1's will give you a similar balance but much much more of everything especially midrange clarity.

I think the pairing of Cyrus 8 and OB1's will be very good until you get the upgrade bug, then the better the amp you buy the bigger the upgrade will be . *smile*

max337

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
Electro said:
Having owned PMC OB1's in the past I can tell and they can be driven very well with amps like you Cyrus 8 and will sound very good indeed, but to get the absolute best out of them you will need a better more powerful amp with plenty of reserve power and current delivery.

Of the two speakers my preference would be the OB1's but I prefer the whole i series range to the 20 series.

You have already owned DB1's and TB2's so the OB1's will give you a similar balance but much much more of everything especially midrange clarity.

I think the pairing of Cyrus 8 and OB1's will be very good until you get the upgrade bug, then the better the amp you buy the bigger the upgrade will be . *smile*

Thanks, that was kind of my way of thinking. I *should* notice a difference but when the amp is upgraded then I should get their potential out of them and the difference again should be marked. The only thing I was unsure about was whether the Ob1's could even be driven adequately or reasonably enough not to make me have to upgrade sooner than I had planned. You seemed to have asnwered that however. Thanks again.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
The 8 only has around 70 watts and a slightly loose bass in absolute terms.

If the speakers have high inherent damping and high volumes are not important it should be ok.

max337

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
I'm just curious now on thoughts as to which pair would suit my musical taste better. I do like bass, so I'm guessing Ob1 unless there's any opinions out there?

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Way back in 2012 I paired PB1i Signatures with a Cyrus DAC XP+ and Mono X300 amplification and was left wanting. I ended up trading the Cyrus kit in for a Bryston pre-power combination which was much better, although with hindsight the DAC XP+ probably wasn't the problem. The Mono X300's had plenty of power but they just didn't seem to gel with the big PMC's. No idea why, just reporting my experience.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Mark Rose-Smith said:
Imo you need to be spending circa 3-5k on a amplifier to do any of the speakers you mention any justice .....they crave power..good though the cyrus may be...I don't think it'll be up to the task of driving the pmc's with aplomb.Yes it will drive them and you'll get sound but you may be disappointed with the results. 

I hear what you're saying but what about nord?

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
max337 said:
I'm just curious now on thoughts as to which pair would suit my musical taste better. I do like bass, so I'm guessing Ob1 unless there's any opinions out there?

Depends what you mean by bass? I had the 23's on loan for a while when my Fact 12's were being made. They came in to my system when my BB5SE's were picked up and I had them for about 6 weeks. Now BB5SE's are big shoes to fill, but the 23's did not disgrace themselves at all. There bass was tight and articulate, but they went way lower than their looks would betray.

That said, I have gone back to larger PMC monitors via the Fact 12's precisely because I also like substantial, effortless bass. Perhaps that speaks a thousand words... Go for the OB1i's, you won't be disappointed.

max337

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
drummerman said:
The 8 only has around 70 watts and a slightly loose bass in absolute terms.

If the speakers have high inherent damping and high volumes are not important it should be ok.

Hi. I can answer that party levels are not important but now and again I'd like to crank it up but generally I don't think I'm a loud listener but it's subjective I suppose. I honestly don't know if either speakers have high inherent damping but I've never owned 6 ohm speakers for one thing IIRC.

max337

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
Gazzip said:
Way back in 2012 I paired PB1i Signatures with a Cyrus DAC XP+ and Mono X300 amplification and was left wanting. I ended up trading the Cyrus kit in for a Bryston pre-power combination which was much better, although with hindsight the DAC XP+ probably wasn't the problem. The Mono X300's had plenty of power but they just didn't seem to gel with the big PMC's. No idea why, just reporting my experience.

Interesting, I've had good experience with Cyrus and PMC but my experience is limited compared. Bryston is the dream but a way off yet!

max337

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
Gazzip said:
max337 said:

Depends what you mean by bass? I had the 23's on loan for a while when my Fact 12's were being made. They came in to my system when my BB5SE's were picked up and I had them for about 6 weeks. Now BB5SE's are big shoes to fill, but the 23's did not disgrace themselves at all. There bass was tight and articulate, but they went way lower than their looks would betray.

That said, I have gone back to larger PMC monitors via the Fact 12's precisely because I also like substantial, effortless bass. Perhaps that speaks a thousand words... Go for the OB1i's, you won't be disappointed.

I did like the Gb1 bass but preferred Tb2 for everything else. You've gone through some kit then. I'm leaning towards the Ob1 but am still hesitant due to 6 ohms and tri connections being totally new to me. Thanks for the info.

max337

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
Mark Rose-Smith said:
Imo you need to be spending circa 3-5k on a amplifier to do any of the speakers you mention any justice .....they crave power..good though the cyrus may be...I don't think it'll be up to the task of driving the pmc's with aplomb.Yes it will drive them and you'll get sound but you may be disappointed with the results.

I hear what you're saying but what about nord?

I would love to try Nord but never seen a 2nd hand one to try. Won't buy new until I'm sold. Shame.

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
max337 said:
Gazzip said:
max337 said:

I did like the Gb1 bass but preferred Tb2 for everything else. You've gone through some kit then. I'm leaning towards the Ob1 but am still hesitant due to 6 ohms and tri connections being totally new to me. Thanks for the info.

The tri-connections I wouldn't be too concerned about. As it goes I have joined the internal connectors for each speaker all together on one pair of inputs inside each speaker. I have gone through a lot of kit to get back to almost exactly where I was most happy before I started changing kit. In 2013 I was Audio Research Ref5SE Bryston 7BSST2 and MB2SE. I spent 4 years churning kit to get to where I am today. The same place but about £50K lighter. Sad and stupid.

max337

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
Gazzip said:
max337 said:
Gazzip said:
max337 said:

The tri-connections I wouldn't be too concerned about. As it goes I have joined the internal connectors for each speaker all together on one pair of inputs inside each speaker. I have gone through a lot of kit to get back to almost exactly where I was most happy before I started changing kit. In 2013 I was Audio Research Ref5SE Bryston 7BSST2 and MB2SE. I spent 4 years churning kit to get to where I am today. The same place but about £50K lighter. Sad and stupid.

Aw man. I'm glad I can't empathise. I hope you enjoyed the journey though!

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
max337 said:
Gazzip said:
max337 said:
Gazzip said:
max337 said:

Aw man. I'm glad I can't empathise. I hope you enjoyed the journey though!

Well, I met some nice new people, some from on this forum, so not all bad...

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
max337 said:
Gazzip said:
max337 said:

The OB1's 6 ohm load is no problem for the Cyrus as it does 150wpc into 4 ohms, as for the tri wire terminals just leave the bridging bars in place and run a single 4mm speaker cable to each speaker.

If you have the money I can recommend this bargain at £1950 to add to the pre out of your Cyrus, it will drive the OB1's like very few amps on the planet *diablo*

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ELECTROCOMPANIET-AW-250R-STEREO-POWER-AMPLIFIER-RRP-4494-00-

/122634894781?hash=item1c8d9bfdbd:g:qCcAAOSwpINZX02b

The specs

http://www.electrocompaniet.no/products/classic/poweramp/aw250r.html

And an internal picture to get the juices flowing. *good*

AW250Rinternal_zpsf2cf44bd.jpg

Electro said:
max337 said:
Gazzip said:
max337 said:

The OB1's 6 ohm load is no problem for the Cyrus as it does 150wpc into 4 ohms, as for the tri wire terminals just leave the bridging bars in place and run a single 4mm speaker cable to each speaker.

If you have the money I can recommend this bargain at £1950 to add to the pre out of your Cyrus, it will drive the OB1's like very few amps on the planet *diablo*

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ELECTROCOMPANIET-AW-250R-STEREO-POWER-AMPLIFIER-RRP-4494-00-

The specs

Eh up! that's enough nudity for today..... ;-)

max337

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
I plumped for the Ob1 in the end, can't wait.

Tempted to get the 24 too, to shoot it out. Have to see how it goes.

I'll let you know when I've connected them and any hopeful comparisons. Thanks all.

max337

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
Electro said:
max337 said:
Gazzip said:
max337 said:

The specs

thanks for the advice. Ooh that's very nice, but out of my reach currently.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

max337 said:
Hi.

Firstly I realise these are two different types of speakers. One imo is more suited to refinement, the 24 and the Ob1 are still refined but with a bit more oomph and low end. I think the Ob1 might be more my cup of tea as I listen to electronic, 80s, Muse, Massive Attack etc but would the 24 fare with this kind of music, with oomph?

My real question regards powering either pair. I currently have an 8 DAC and whilst I'm sure it will be an improvement just for having better speakers, I'm wondering whether it would drive either sufficiently until the amp can be upgraded in a couple of months? I have driven Db1 well, Tb2 well and hazard 24s would be good, although I won't get the best out of them. I do worry about not being able to drive Ob1 sufficiently though as I've never owned this type of tri speaker?

Will both be driven adequately with my amp to last? Surely it's still an improvement? I do like a fuller sound. Depeche Mode for example does need that bass and am only assuming Ob1 is more suited to that for me but I'd love to hear other views. Thanks.

id mirror some of the comments before that if you want to change to the 24 it will be a good choice, but you will need to change the Cyrus amp preferably to mono blocks as the thing with pmc is they can keep getting a lot better with better amps. Also agree thing that 8dac is only 70w per channel.

Im a Cyrus and pmc owner and had 20-23s with Cyrus signature stuff (dac xp sig with psx r, mono x200 signatures, stream x signature streamer) and that worked very well. I ran the 20-23s with a Cyrus 6dac and it was lacking and then with x powers and a Cyrus pre, but the signature amps are fantastic, and I don't agree with the comments about Cyrus x300 not working with pmc. If you like loads and loads of bass then maybe, but cyrus signature power amps and the older x300 and x200 have more than enough power and bass. The dac xp + a very good pre too. I changed to twenty5 23s and it's gone up a notch again and I'm very happy.

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
QuestForThe13thNote said:
max337 said:
Hi.

id mirror some of the comments before that if you want to change to the 24 it will be a good choice, but you will need to change the Cyrus amp preferably to mono blocks as the thing with pmc is they can keep getting a lot better with better amps. Also agree thing that 8dac is only 70w per channel.

Im a Cyrus and pmc owner and had 20-23s with Cyrus signature stuff (dac xp sig with psx r, mono x200 signatures, stream x signature streamer) and that worked very well. I ran the 20-23s with a Cyrus 6dac and it was lacking and then with x powers and a Cyrus pre, but the signature amps are fantastic, and I don't agree with the comments about Cyrus x300 not working with pmc. If you like loads and loads of bass then maybe, but cyrus signature power amps and the older x300 and x200 have more than enough power and bass. The dac xp + a very good pre too. I changed to twenty5 23s and it's gone up a notch again and I'm very happy.

He does like bass according to his post. The power was never an issue with the X300's, just presentation and terrible reliability.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts