Harbeth 40th Anniversary

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
You must be excited Mac. Hope the time goes quick for you.

You can always spend the time watching a certain review channel on you tube.... :)

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
nopiano said:
Macspur said:
Andrewjvt said:
Macspur said:
Electro said:
Macspur said:
Had demo of the new Anniversary model this morning, now on order... outselling the likes of Wilson Audio Sabrina by all accounts.

Mac

www.realmusicnet.wordpress.com

I take it you were smitten by them Mac. *man_in_love*

What are the main differences in sound presentation.

Hi Electro,

I've sent you an Email with my thoughts, but what I will say... essentially the same, but doing everything that much better, more resolution with a sparklier top end, retaining that natural SQ and beautiful mid range, finished in a lovely lacquered walnut finish.

Mac

Hi nice

Are they different drivers to your old pair?

New Harbeth patented SHL5+ anniversary crossover capacitors and new protection bar for Supertweeter.

As per Alan Shaw, it's all a bit guarded about in depth details on physical differences, he just urges you to hear them and make up your own mind and it looks like people have as they are selling like the proverbiall hot ones.

Mac

I agree about AS, as he is sailing close to the arguments he usually dismisses about components making a difference in, say, an amplifier, yet in his speakers they obviously seem to make people prefer the more expensive version! In any case, they are still relatively good value, especially in comparison with Sabrinas - though I do hanker for them as part of a one-day dream system!

Hope you love your new models when they arrive!

Yes, someone did point that out on the forum... regardless, you have to have a lot of respect for the guy and his obvious passion for his lifes work and as you say, at relatively reasonable prices.

There's a few brands I'd love to hear some day... ART, Revel, Hanson, Magico, Living Voice and some of the more expensive SF's

Mac

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
ellisdj said:
You must be excited Mac. Hope the time goes quick for you.

You can always spend the time watching a certain review channel on you tube.... :)

Been through most of the videos, just waiting for the Tosh.

If the anniversary models hadn't come out, I would probably been happy to keep the SHL5 plus for quite a while longer.

Mac

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
ellisdj said:
What have they done in the 40th Ed thats the improvements to it?

As I was saying to Nopiano, Alan Shaw from Harbeth is quite guarded on in depth details... new high grade binding posts plus their own wired speakered links and not the usual copper plates other models come with... all new internal wiring and their own anniversary high grade capacitors.

Take a look at their website, with your knowledge, you may gleam more insight than myself.

Whatever it is he's done, it works!

Mac

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Oh man he has upgraded the speaker cabling and got rid of the nasty links for proper cable... no wonder they sound better.... :)

Who has been saying do that on here for years its only taken him 40 years to catch on.... lol

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
ellisdj said:
Hi Mac

I have had a little look couldn't see a lot of details either. What's the rrp on them??

About 4.4K but with the trade in, works much less painful.

Still, other brands of similar performance, you'd pay a lot more.

Mac

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
I will of course, I have your email makes sense to wait now until you are settled with the new 40's and feel they are sounding their best.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
ellisdj said:
I will of course, I have your email makes sense to wait now until you are settled with the new 40's and feel they are sounding their best.

Yes, definitely.

Will keep you posted.

Mac

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
The new 40th anniversary SHL5+ arrived today... Guildford Audio delivered them after collecting them straight from Harbeth.

Had to make one query though, the demo pair they brought round had a lacquered finish, but these have the grain... Trevor didn't notice, so he will ask Harbeth for me.

Mac

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Macspur said:
The new 40th anniversary SHL5+ arrived today... Guildford Audio delivered them after collecting them straight from Harbeth.

Had to make one query though, the demo pair they brought round had a lacquered finish, but these have the grain... Trevor didn't notice, so he will ask Harbeth for me.

Mac

Enjoy
How's the sound compared to how you remember

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
I'm looking at the 40th anny page and boy Allan went to town with these. Gorgeous finishes, some exotica WBT terminals, handpicked matched drivers, thicker cables, crossovers with special dynamit sticks thick poly caps with Harbeth 40th anny labels...

He got pissy comments on the Harbeth forum for going overboard with the audiophile goodness. Some fragile egos got shattered lmao.

Vladimir said:
I'm looking at the 40th anny page and boy Allan went to town with these. Gorgeous finishes, some exotica WBT terminals, handpicked matched drivers, thicker cables, crossovers with special dynamit sticks thick poly caps with Harbeth 40th anny labels...

He got pissy comments on the Harbeth forum for going overboard with the audiophile goodness. Some fragile egos got shattered lmao.
Ha, yes it was a bit of a change of heart for someone who says all amps sound the same - to paraphrase somewhat. He must be looking to boost the pension a bit, as these enhanced models doubtless sell like hotcakes in Asia.

Hope you love them, Mac!

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
nopiano said:
Vladimir said:

Ha, yes it was a bit of a change of heart for someone who says all amps sound the same - to paraphrase somewhat. He must be looking to boost the pension a bit, as these enhanced models doubtless sell like hotcakes in Asia.

Hope you love them, Mac!

Selling like hot cakes here too!

still early days to assess the SQ properly, as I say, they only came from HQ in Lingfield this morning.

With every new Harbeth I've bought the SQ has always been essentially the same, but better in each department, tighter base, even better imaging sweeter top end etc and I can already hear an improvement, but expectit to get better as the days pass.

Mac

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Had the new Anniversaries for well over a week now and played them pretty solidly for that time...

What is quickly noticeable is that they are a bolder sounding speaker than the previous itteration of the SHL5 plus,, everything sounds closer, more tactile... piano has always sounded superb on Harbeths, but now they really are extraordinary.

Still early days, so expect them to improve further. with a few more hours on the clock.

Mac

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Macspur said:
Had the new Anniversaries for well over a week now and played them pretty solidly for that time...

What is quickly noticeable is that they are a bolder sounding speaker than the previous itteration of the SHL5 plus,, everything sounds closer, more tactile... piano has always sounded superb on Harbeths, but now they really are extraordinary.

Still early days, so expect them to improve further. with a few more hours on the clock.

Mac

Glad you enjoying your new speakers.
I must get a chance to demo some harbeth some day

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Macspur said:

Mac

Time for an Accuphase Amp upgrade then! *diablo* *wink*

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Macspur said:

Mac

What you trying to do to me Cno... break me, not to mention disturbing marrital bliss... only bought the E470 last year!

Mac

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Macspur said:
CnoEvil said:
Macspur said:

Mac

What you trying to do to me Cno... break me, not to mention disturbing marrital bliss... only bought the E470 last year!

Mac

Ah, I forgot that.....well, I'm sure there's something that could be improved....some Track Audio speaker stands, or perhaps some Cardas Clear cables. *bomb*

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Macspur said:
CnoEvil said:
Macspur said:

Mac

Mac

Ah, I forgot that.....well, I'm sure there's something that could be improved....some Track Audio speaker stands, or perhaps some Cardas Clear cables. *bomb*

How about you young man, about time you upgraded your set up surely!

Re speaker stands, I will be buying matching walnut stands especially made for the Harbs by HiFi Racks. later in year.

Mac

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Macspur said:
How about you young man, about time you upgraded your set up surely!

Re speaker stands, I will be buying matching walnut stands especially made for the Harbs by HiFi Racks. later in year.

Mac

Touche.

I have found myself retired...so no money for anything atm.

If property recovers here....then I have my eye on some New Kef Refs/Mini Blade + an Akurate DS.

One should always have a plan.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts