Happy now?

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
It’s now over 2 years since I joined the forum and began benefitting from the honourable members’ accumulated wisdom. Lots of water and lots of bridges later, as of last week I finally have my main system installed in its designated and destined space.

During these two years there have been dozens of demos (remember them?), a couple of false starts, a house move, new furniture, and loads of cable debates. I spent a bit of money too. The learning curve has been pretty steep at times.

The system architecture is quite simple. A pair of speakers and three boxes of electronics: a streamer, a DSP/DAC/preamp, and a power amp. Oh and my teenage daughter’s turntable and phono stage!

It goes like this (minus the TT): Sonos Connect (W4S mod) > DSPeaker Anti-Mode DualCore 2.0 > Sanders Magtech > Martin Logan Montis.

Am I happy now?

For most of the music I listen to, the system is superb. It has a frightening degree of resolution. Everything is there. Instrumental timbres are stunningly accurate. The sense of immediacy is remarkable. I don’t like the word ‘palpable’, but it’s probably the right word here.

The speakers have two other trump cards. The electrostatic panels are about 4ft in height (not including the woofers). All frequencies from 20kHz down to 350Hz (where the woofers take over) are spread evenly along the full height of the panels, which means the soundstage is both wide and very tall. For orchestral music this is a huge plus. I’ve not heard a speaker that does an orchestra better.

And then there’s the volume. I generally don’t listen at very high volumes, but on occasions I have, and the speakers go loud in a totally unforced manner. Really loud. Without distortion.

I can still pick holes in the system’s performance. I get more powerful and truer bass from my Devialet Phantoms, but they are the stuff of legend in the bass department. Some recordings sound rubbish. I guess that’s because they’re rubbish recordings. I’ve yet to find a (post-1970) classical recording that sounds anything other than excellent.

So, yes, I’m happy now. Very happy. :)

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Great to hear you've reached musical Nirvana Matt. It's interesting that we all have different paths to getting there and for some of us, the road is long and winding. (Sounds like an interesting idea for a song!)

For me, I'm wondering if digital will actually deliver it. I'm pretty satisfied with both my systems but I've been listening to Vinyl again recently and there's just something about it that I can't shake off. There's a certain 'rightness' that I'm finding only Vinyl seems to deliver. To that end I'm now investigating turntables.....

I'm very happy with the Devialet/Focal combination and the Unison Research/Sonus Faber system with digital but I'm sure there's more to be had from them. (Or if not more, then at least a different presentation.)

Interestingly I've come to believe that the sound that some speakers produce carry a 'signature' of the material that they're made from. For example, the Focals sound clean, clear and very precise because of the beryllium tweeters and the Sonus Fabers have a shimmery, silky quality because of the ring radiator.

My Martin Logans did a similar thing: I thought they sounded slightly 'zingy' especially with massed or solo strings, but this was restricted to the upper registers. (As you know, I ultimately didn't get on with them as they imaged weirdly in my listening room and pushed the musical image right into my face, although when I heard your Monti's, they didn't appear to do the same thing.)

Anyway, Turntables next. - Keeps it interesting - eh?

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Infiniteloop said:

Cheers, Andrew!

I'm also thinking of revisiting vinyl, though perhaps for a different reason. I'm bothered by the dynamic compression of much modern music on CD. For well known reasons vinyl suffers less from this problem. So I'll stick with digital for classical music but I may buy a TT for rock/pop.

I have my eye on a Michell Orbe. ;)

Coll

May 4, 2011
Visit site
Yes I find CD quality very variable also. With some cds my system sounds absolutely fabulous and with other not so good and I start thinking shall I change the CD player or amp or change resistors in the speakers (made them myself) to get rid of sibilance or brightness. But then I think maybe the system is fine and its the CD quality thats the problem.

I previously had a power amp that all Cds sounded ok with but then realised that some were dull with no sparkle. Got the sparkle now with my new mosfet power amp but now I find some Cds are slightly bright or sibilant.

So I have realised that you cannot win.

In some ways the old tone controls were usefull as at least you could soften bad recordings now you have to put up with them or have a dull system to cope with them.

I am currently thinking of fitting some extra resistors into my speaker HF circuit with a switch to change the HF roll off to suit bad recordings

wilro15

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
Well done Matt on achieving your dream hi-fi. I thought I was happy, but am about to change speakers very soon... when will it end?

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
wilro15 said:
Well done Matt on achieving your dream hi-fi. I thought I was happy, but am about to change speakers very soon... when will it end?

Cheers!

Which speakers are you looking at? What is it you don't like about the FB1s?

stevee1966

Sep 21, 2007
Visit site
matt49 said:
For orchestral music this is a huge plus. I’ve not heard a speaker that does an orchestra better.

Some recordings sound rubbish. I guess that’s because they’re rubbish recordings. I’ve yet to find a (post-1970) classical recording that sounds anything other than excellent.

I generally listen to rock/guitar based music. However when reading hi-fi hardware reviews the medium used tends to be classical music.

Could someone recommend a classical cd which will make me sit up, drop my jaw, and hear the full potential of my system ?

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
stevee1966 said:
I generally listen to rock/guitar based music. However when reading hi-fi hardware reviews the medium used tends to be classical music.

Could someone recommend a classical cd which will make me sit up, drop my jaw, and hear the full potential of my system ?

Basically anything will do, but if you want to give your speakers a real work-out, I'd recommend some opera. I have a particular fondness for Charles Mackerras's recordings of Janacek's operas: 'From the House of the Dead' is a good place to start.

wilro15

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
I find the FB1i to be a bit bland across the mid range. Treble and bass response are very good though.

I miss the mid range and soundstage from my LS50s - the FB1i sound a bit closed-in in comparison. I wouldn't have thought I would say that moving from a standmounter to a floorstander.

The FB1i are not bad, per se, just not very involving.

Thinking of one of the Tannoy Precision range, they can be had for a good price right now and seem to be more fun.

wilro15

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
I should add I also want something that looks good. I know, I know, it should be all about the sound. But I sit and look at my stereo while I listen, I want to look and think "oooh pretty".

My PMCs are all black, the finish is a bit cheap too.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
wilro15 said:
I find the FB1i to be a bit bland across the mid range. Treble and bass response are very good though.

I miss the mid range and soundstage from my LS50s - the FB1i sound a bit closed-in in comparison. I wouldn't have thought I would say that moving from a standmounter to a floorstander.

Thinking of one of the Tannoy Precision range, they can be had for a good price right now and seem to be more fun.

I had a similar experience with a pair of PMC GB1s. They did some things very nicely but in the end I missed that sense of immediacy, of being there, so to speak.

The Tannoy Precisions would make good sense, as they have a concentric HF/mid-driver, like the LS50s. Have you considered ATC? The fans think the mid-range is their strongest suit.

wilro15

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
I've never heard an ATC, but the impression I had was that they are bright/analytical type speakers.

Plus they have looks that only their mother can love. *wink*

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
wilro15 said:
I've never heard an ATC, but the impression I had was that they are bright/analytical type speakers.

Plus they have looks that only their mother can love. *wink*

The only ATCs I've heard (the active SCM20 towers) were certainly like that. Needless to say, the ATC fans, who are a pretty passionate lot, think otherwise.

emperor's new clothes

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Hi Stevee,

Try Berlioz Symphonie Fantastique. Despite being French, my dad used this to demo his system 50 years ago. iv: march to the Scaffold and v: are full of crescendos with full-on bass from Timpani, bassoon and double bass. I have an early DG AAD recording on cd, but recently bought LSO/Gergiev on BlueRay Audio DTS 192 and, as a surprise bonus, a SACD was included in the box. Both have excellent dynamic range and superb detail and soundstage. Not everyone's cup of tea, but will give those drivers a workout.

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
matt49 said:
Infiniteloop said:

Cheers, Andrew!

I'm also thinking of revisiting vinyl, though perhaps for a different reason. I'm bothered by the dynamic compression of much modern music on CD. For well known reasons vinyl suffers less from this problem. So I'll stick with digital for classical music but I may buy a TT for rock/pop.

I think you hit the nail on the head Matt. Compressed digital is the Devil's work. In contrast to you, I'm looking to Vinyl to add some musicality to Classical. Both my systems do Jazz beautifully and rock is good too - when the recording allows......

I still remember the first time I heard a good sound system. It was actually at school. Our music department had a (then) new Garrard turntable and some Spendor speakers. ( i have no idea what the Amp was.) At lunchtimes the music teacher would play some Classical music for us. I still remember that sound and I was transfixed.

I was probably around eleven years old.

I'm looking at a Roksan Xerxes or possibly a Thorens TD550. I was looking at a Sondek too, but the ones I've heard sound a little 'lazy'.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Infiniteloop said:
I think you hit the nail on the head Matt. Compressed digital is the Devil's work. In contrast to you, I'm looking to Vinyl to add some musicality to Classical. Both my systems do Jazz beautifully and rock is good too - when the recording allows......

I still remember the first time I heard a good sound system. It was actually at school. Our music department had a (then) new Garrard turntable and some Spendor speakers. ( i have no idea what the Amp was.) At lunchtimes the music teacher would play some Classical music for us. I still remember that sound and I was transfixed.

I'm looking at a Roksan Xerxes or possibly a Thorens TD550. I was looking at a Sondek too, but the ones I've heard sound a little 'lazy'.

My Dad had a Garrard when I was a kid. I always wondered why the TT was in the dining room but the speakers were in the living room. Seemed really strange. Only recently I realized that having the TT in a different room is a great way of isolating it.

He then moved on to a Michell which was lovely too.

My local dealer really rates the top end Pro-Ject TTs. They manage to produce high quality stuff for bargain basement prices. (He also stocks Michell and SME.)

I've also been looking at Clearaudio: I think their designs are simple but classy (with the exception of their bonkers top end stuff).

But before I go down the TT route, I'm going to experiment with subs.

postup_crni

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Hi ∞ ,

Liked your reminiscence of Spendors. My first HiFi consisted of Spendors SP1, Sansui 919 and technics SL1200 with F4/Sonusgold ... back in 1979 :-( , bought them after listening to similarly priced Rogers, KEFs and Celestions, powered by Yamaha's C1/B1 (at Audio T, if memory serves me well), Holst's Planets, some Vivaldi and (some) jazz & pop ...

Most of the music I listen to through my system now (Marantz 11 amp/SACD, ML ESLs) is more effortless, detailed and present, however, I still remember some quality LPs (Dylan's Patt Garrett, Breakfast in America, some classical recordings - Vivaldi, Lully, Previn's Carmina Burana) played through that system ....

Maybe the syndrom of a thirsty ear - thirstier when you are younger.

Best, postup

philpot1001

May 28, 2015
Visit site
stevee1966 said:
matt49 said:
For orchestral music this is a huge plus. I’ve not heard a speaker that does an orchestra better.

Some recordings sound rubbish. I guess that’s because they’re rubbish recordings. I’ve yet to find a (post-1970) classical recording that sounds anything other than excellent.

For me i love listening to Beethovans 6th symphony (pastoral), really floats my boat and sounds cracking

SteveR750

matt49 said:
wilro15 said:

I had a similar experience with a pair of PMC GB1s. They did some things very nicely but in the end I missed that sense of immediacy, of being there, so to speak.

The Tannoy Precisions would make good sense, as they have a concentric HF/mid-driver, like the LS50s. Have you considered ATC? The fans think the mid-range is their strongest suit.

I was about to suggest this.

They are as full bodied smooth speaker as anything I have heard, extremely dynamic and hard punching when needed. The new tweeter makes a huge difference, and there is no hint of artificial brightness in my system (though the Hegel is notably free of HF intermodulation distortion allegedly). I think the new ATC range with their curved boxes look great once you take the metal grilles off.

SteveR750

Infiniteloop said:
matt49 said:
Infiniteloop said:

Cheers, Andrew!

I have to admit, much as I loved the LP12/Ittok that I had, I preferred the much wider bandwidth that CD offered. There are a few recordings that aren't great, but I had plenty of compressed rock albums on vinyl that weren't that great.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
SteveR750 said:
I was about to suggest this.

They are as full bodied smooth speaker as anything I have heard, extremely dynamic and hard punching when needed. The new tweeter makes a huge difference, and there is no hint of artificial brightness in my system (though the Hegel is notably free of HF intermodulation distortion allegedly). I think the new ATC range with their curved boxes look great once you take the metal grilles off.

I haven't heard the curved models with the new tweeter. The previous models seemed to divide opinion somewhat, but then many brands with very good reputations do.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts