Greatest Speakers VS Worst Speakers you have heard.

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I thought I'd conduct a little Friday poll. Please choose as above, Nominations can be for any speakers regardless of age, cost or style. Please feel free to give explanation were possible. Ok I will start My favorite ever heard are the Genelec 1036A Main control room monitoring system. Still sends shivers down my spine at what these babies are capable of.The bass was so intense that I was nearly sick. At suitable volume levels I could listen for ever. or at least till I needed food. http://www.genelec.com/products/2-way-monitors/1036a/. bit out of my league at £20,000 for a single unit but there we go. Lottery win. My least enjoyable after a long audition. Any this is bearing in mind they are from a reputable speaker maker is the KEF Q500, Maybe I heard a dud pair but they honestly sounded like someone was rattling a cutlery draw, and very week bass. They are over £500, which in my opinion is a lot for cutlery.Having said that the KEFQ300 sounded, well, really enjoyable. Anyway, just a bit if fun

Tricky one, because cracking speakers can sound naff if poorly matched and duff speakers can sound half good in the right system.

If someone was to shake me warmly by the throat and say decide I'd plump for Wilson Benesch (don't know model) as some of the best... and probably Tannoy satalite speakers the bro-in-law has. Traditional Tannoys are impressive, but these, without a sub are non descript.

proffski

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
The worst loudspeakers I have heard since I started work in 1968 have been Bose, they indeed rattle like junk cutlery in a kitchen 'drawer'. They make my ears bleed!

The large Wilson Benesch had me glued to my seat a few year ago and I had to be pulled away by fellow listeners from the demo room.

For sheer clarity, finese, articulation, were two pairs of Quad 2905s being driven by the mighty Musical Fidelity KW beast.

Truly holographic and almost perfect with the right material, nothing 'weak' about their performance. Material was contemporary jazz, gospel, opera, orchestral with some solo voice, violin and grand piano.

A

Anonymous

Bang & Olufsen Beolab 5

Near full volume surround system with live music Blu-ray on (B&O TV). Awesome. Look as good as they sound too.

A

Anonymous

Worst, another vote for Bose. Proffski described them perfectly, with a subwoofer bass quality was like a huge pillow being hit with a frying pan, all in all unforgettable.

Best, (so far) Quad ESL 63. Most invisible speaker I've listened to with glorious midrange.

bemaniac

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I'll be honest the best I've heard is what I've got and the worst I've heard for good money was a bose acoustimass system they had with a music demo in the bose store.

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
Has to be the Legend big reds. It's a while since I heard them, but. Close would be the Martin Logan expensive ones (forget the name), pretty bloody amazing. Third the Magnepans, honorary (or honourable?) mention to the Harbeths.

Worst - any computer speaker.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
BEST: Kef Ref 207/2; Spendor ST; Spendor SA1; Audio Note AN-E

WORST: Triangle Magellan Cello; Focal Diablo Utopia; Kef XQ range.

Nb. Amps make a huge difference and could have caused my view.

T

the record spot

Best I've heard is probably Genelec 8040a actives. Then my favourites the Mission 751/752s which were just fine. Thereafter there's a goodcfew I'd like to try notably the Acoustic Energy AE22A and if AEJim needs a three year late user review...!!

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Best: B&W 800 diamonds running off a whole lotta Luxman kit.

Worst: Kef IQ30, although from the sound I heard, I'm prepared to consider that they may not have been run in at all.

A

Anonymous

Best - Wilson Audio Maxx's. The atmosphere they produce in low-slung heavy guitar work is truly incredible and the delicacy with which they can make strings bounce on some Hans Zimmer composed works just blows my mind. I've heard Grande Utopias and other speakers into the 6-figure range, nothing has came close to the Maxx's yet.

Worst - Eltax C-205.

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
Another vote for bose as worst. I'm not talking about the little mini speakers, but their larger hifi speakers. The people that buy them must buy completely based on marketing and have no clue. Yet, often non hifi people think bose = the best. So wrong.

Best speaker ever? Hmmmm... have to go with KingAudio Prince II electrostatic speakers. On the end of some very high end electronics. Had the drama and detail of magnepan but with real bass.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
SteveR750 said:
worst = HTC desire

:clap:

I'd go along with that. Awful sound. I bought one of those X-mini rechargable speaker things for when I'm stuck marking time at work, and watching iPlayer or similar. Big improvement for £15 or so.

SHAXOS

Feb 11, 2008
Visit site
Best - Eclipse TD712ZMK2

Worst (although not necessarily the worst sounding ever but certainly the most disappointing by a mile) - Kef xq30.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
SHAXOS said:
Best - Eclipse TD712ZMK2

Worst (although not necessarily the worst sounding ever but certainly the most disappointing by a mile) - Kef xq30.

The unofficial readers award for the worst speaker, seems to be heading in the direction of the XQ30.

A

Anonymous

The Worst, even with stiff competition from B&W must be the B&O BeoLab3, that managed to strangle a Katie Melua track - making it sound small and compressed - which takes quite some doing!

The Best - it depends a little on the room, amp etc, but I must rate my Usher X-718 at the top, but bear in mind I've always had pretty good amps connected to that, and amps make a big difference to how a speaker performs.

Some of the big Tannoys are pretty vivid too, maybe one day a pair of Westminsters ;)

emcc_3

Feb 20, 2008
Visit site
Best speakers I have heard are the linn klimax 350 speakers which my dad has a pair of. They sound absolutely fabulous. Worst Bose speakers and the laptop speakers on my old HP laptop

matthewpiano

The worst speaker I've ever heard is the B&W CM1. Absolutely terrible. No control, all bass and treble with very little midrange quality, splashy treble, and boomy bass. Wouldn't give you £5 for them, never mind £500.

Fairly close second is a pair of Naim Ovator floorstanders I heard. The bass had a very peculiar cardboard quality. Didn't like them at all.

The best? PMC DB1i are the best standmounts I've ever heard by a country mile. Superb soundstaging and portrayal of instrumental and vocal timbre, wonderfully 'live' midrange, and a real sense of acoustic space.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts