Great cable for Q acoustics concept 20?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Vladimir said:
RobinKidderminster said:
However, I can not compare the materials, labour & manufacturing of speakers to that of cables.

Cables have R&D that deals with quantum physics, metalurgy and electronics, therefore a very knowledgable staff is required to produce high performance cables.

Aww cummon Vlad! Id love to know howmany quantum physisists are employed by the cable companies!!! Probably as many as are emplyed by KEF? I am sure the marketing department of any hifi company is a tad greater than their theoretical quantum physics budget. I dont like to be rude but statements like that have to be shot down and (repeating myself) can only fuel scepticism.

ID - If u are saying your post was a.wind up then consider it a success. Winding down now ... :)

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Music consists of rapid changes in asymmetrical waveforms which due to capacitance are remembered by cables and confuse the spatiality, upsetting the sound stage and often altering tonality.

The Spatia is a low memory speaker cable.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Vladimir said:
Music consists of rapid changes in asymmetrical waveforms which due to capacitance are remembered by cables and confuse the spatiality, upsetting the sound stage and often altering tonality.

That is reference to the dielectic material used - dielectic absorption / dump rate and dissipation factor.

These cables sound leaner but with more space and layering I think similar to theory behind Tellerium Q cabling. They term it phase distortion

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
ellisdj said:
That is reference to the dielectic material used - dielectic absorption / dump rate and dissipation factor.

These cables sound leaner but with more space and layering I think similar to theory behind Tellerium Q cabling. They term it phase distortion

It's just brilliant how they thought of that. It shows how much R&D is important with cables.

TrevC

ID. said:
dim_span said:
no need to spend zillions though

I agree. The accepted rule of thumb is that your speaker cables should cost roughly the same as your speakers. After all, the speakers are only as good as the signal the cable can deliver to them. Garbage in; garbage out.

Complete nonsense. It's essential to use a low resistance cable, but any old thick stranded copper wires will do as good a job as any others even for the most expensive speakers.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Vladimir said:
ellisdj said:

It's just brilliant how they thought of that. It shows how much R&D is important with cables.

Luckily its all been done before - just a case of thinking about it and implementing it which is "obviously easy" - B&Q have done it in their electrical section which is perfect for the likes of the naysayers on here that love to cripple threads like this with negativity so that no one every bothers suggesting anything and the cycle goes on and on for etertnity.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
TrevC said:
Vladimir said:

Hilarious.

Vlad missed off the good bits

The two wires of a speaker cable are in-effect two drawn out metallic plates with insulation separating them - the equivalent of a capacitor.

Cables are very much like capacitors where the insulation which spaces the plates apart is known as dielectric - a scientific way of saying insulation - the insulation between and surrounding the plates.

Dielectric quality affects how quickly a capacitor can 'forget' its charge and swap direction to the next charge. Music being comprised of rapidly changing complex asymmetrical waveforms at multiple frequencies all at once (bass notes included) will be distorted and highly coloured if the cable dielectric isn't fast like the Spatia.

I think fast is the wrong word used here but he its an attempt at making it easier to understand

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
TrevC said:
ID. said:
I agree. The accepted rule of thumb is that your speaker cables should cost roughly the same as your speakers. After all, the speakers are only as good as the signal the cable can deliver to them. Garbage in; garbage out.

Complete nonsense. It's essential to use a low resistance cable, but any old thick stranded copper wires will do as good a job as any others even for the most expensive speakers.

th_48cc4176.gif

TrevC

ellisdj said:
TrevC said:
Vladimir said:

Hilarious.

Vlad missed off the good bits

The two wires of a speaker cable are in-effect two drawn out metallic plates with insulation separating them - the equivalent of a capacitor.

Cables are very much like capacitors where the insulation which spaces the plates apart is known as dielectric - a scientific way of saying insulation - the insulation between and surrounding the plates.

Dielectric quality affects how quickly a capacitor can 'forget' its charge and swap direction to the next charge. Music being comprised of rapidly changing complex asymmetrical waveforms at multiple frequencies all at once (bass notes included) will be distorted and highly coloured if the cable dielectric isn't fast like the Spatia.

I think fast is the wrong word used here but he its an attempt at making it easier to understand

The amount of capacitance of a standard speaker cable is negligible and won't make the slightest difference. It's marketing poppycock.

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Vladimir said:
RobinKidderminster said:
Aww cummon Vlad! Id love to know howmany quantum physisists are employed by the cable companies!!!

This company called Quantum Physics is specialized in that area. Three of their product listed here.

Vlad' - sorry but this link only dismisses any credibilty of your discussion. U seem to be saying that because some company labels its products as 'Quantum PHhysics' it means they employ a crack team of eminent scientists to research and produce cables and boxes of snake oil. No wonder the doubters out there have a chuckle.

TV ad on Ch5 has amazing 'cold plasma' anti wringle cream. I am sure they have enlisted the help of teams of plasma physisists from CERN to develop tubs of fish oil at £50 a go.

PLEASE lets stop this nonsense.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Wow...

This forum's atmosphere is becoming more and more fascist by the day. I hope I wont get lynched for having an open mind about cable science.

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Using the word fascist in this context is probably as ill informed.as the expectation that a marketing phrase such as cold laser or quantum science has any basis in real scientific research. I rarely quote scientific research in my discussion but I really think that advertising text from manufacturers websites is hardly good scientific evidence. I feel sad that I have to critisize anyone here for their comments but I am very keen to persue scams or unfair practices and in this particular instance I am drawn to point out innaccurate and misleading information which could potentially lead someone to throw away their money.

Cable threads always disintegrate but this is not about cables but more a warning that we should all be cautious about marketing claims and make rational judgements based on good science or good sense or good advice & recommendation.

dim_span

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
so .... (for those that want nothing but the 'best') *mail1*

you have expensive speakers, and have invested in expensive cables ...

what about the speaker's binding posts?

http://www.audiodesign.co.uk/styled-26/styled-21/index.html

snip:

Most people would answer this with the statement “They’re gold platted”, and of course you may well be correct, however the biggest factor effecting the sound of these is not what they’re covered in, it’s what is being covered in the first place!

Virtually all binding posts on your speakers or your amplifier will be a combination most likely based around Brass. Sadly, Brass is a diabolical audio component. Covering it with gold, or indeed some other exotic metal, may well stop it tarnishing, but it does little to mask the brittle, glaringly hard and poorly detailed sound. What’s that we hear you say “my system sound great!”. Well that may well be the case, but the point we’re making is, if it sounds great now, your going to be stunned into silence when you hear how good it could be.

The irony is of course that manufacturers spend massive amounts of time and money to produce what they feel to be the best amplifier they can make, speaker manufacturers just the same. Also, we’re all well aware of the huge improvements that quality cable can make. And yet, for the most part, all of this effort is thrown to the dogs by just this one item in the signal chain. Your binding posts.

Some time ago, we realised that the binding posts were dramatically effecting the sound of our amplifiers, so, we set about trying to find something that would do the job much much better. It turned out to be no mean feet. One of the very very best transmitters for an audio signal is copper. Not the cheap Copper/Nickel that most companies use but pure solid oxygen free Copper. Milled from a solid bar.

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
£200 for a pair of binding posts. Wow. Not even links. I am beginning to think this hobby must have a significant number of gullible fools. We should have a thread to link to the most proposperous bits of kit. Or maybe there is one?

PS Vlad' - I think you were also winding me up with your comments. Your arguments were convincingly rediculous. Hook line and sinker! :) Take care

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
my experience with brass and phosphor bronze mirrors yours - luckily companies like WBT and Furutech have addressed these issues nicely

Myers

Nov 3, 2014
Visit site
I've got three Russ Andrews mains cables, a Russ Andrews mains block & a pair of Atlas interconnects, also I removed the links on my MA Silver speakers & repaced them with cable jumpers, I had some wooden cones once too under the amp & CD player *diablo* I never did get the little wooden (pylons) blocks to keep the speaker cable off the floor though - Speaker cable was only a fiver a metre though *biggrin*

Edit: My rack has spikes on too *bomb*

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
I used to hope that half decent cables were worth the investment and bought QED. However at best would we expect subtle changes. And yet some describe in detail the significant changes to tone, sounstage etc etc. Significant benefits from changing cables, links, spades & banana plugs, speaker & amp terminals etc etc. Manufacturers would have us spend thousands to improve the signal path - each component making a significant difference.

So my system is rubbish but if I doubled my outlay it would sing. Good O.

TrevC

dim_span said:

snip:

Most people would answer this with the statement “They’re gold platted”, and of course you may well be correct, however the biggest factor effecting the sound of these is not what they’re covered in, it’s what is being covered in the first place!Virtually all binding posts on your speakers or your amplifier will be a combination most likely based around Brass. Sadly, Brass is a diabolical audio component. Covering it with gold, or indeed some other exotic metal, may well stop it tarnishing, but it does little to mask the brittle, glaringly hard and poorly detailed sound. What’s that we hear you say “my system sound great!”. Well that may well be the case, but the point we’re making is, if it sounds great now, your going to be stunned into silence when you hear how good it could be.The irony is of course that manufacturers spend massive amounts of time and money to produce what they feel to be the best amplifier they can make, speaker manufacturers just the same. Also, we’re all well aware of the huge improvements that quality cable can make. And yet, for the most part, all of this effort is thrown to the dogs by just this one item in the signal chain. Your binding posts.

Some time ago, we realised that the binding posts were dramatically effecting the sound of our amplifiers, so, we set about trying to find something that would do the job much much better. It turned out to be no mean feet. One of the very very best transmitters for an audio signal is copper. Not the cheap Copper/Nickel that most companies use but pure solid oxygen free Copper. Milled from a solid bar.

Are you being serious? It's hard to tell, but the binding posts are not a problem as long as they are well made, gripping the wire tightly to make a good contact.

dim_span

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
TrevC said:
dim_span said:

snip:

Most people would answer this with the statement “They’re gold platted”, and of course you may well be correct, however the biggest factor effecting the sound of these is not what they’re covered in, it’s what is being covered in the first place!Virtually all binding posts on your speakers or your amplifier will be a combination most likely based around Brass. Sadly, Brass is a diabolical audio component. Covering it with gold, or indeed some other exotic metal, may well stop it tarnishing, but it does little to mask the brittle, glaringly hard and poorly detailed sound. What’s that we hear you say “my system sound great!”. Well that may well be the case, but the point we’re making is, if it sounds great now, your going to be stunned into silence when you hear how good it could be.The irony is of course that manufacturers spend massive amounts of time and money to produce what they feel to be the best amplifier they can make, speaker manufacturers just the same. Also, we’re all well aware of the huge improvements that quality cable can make. And yet, for the most part, all of this effort is thrown to the dogs by just this one item in the signal chain. Your binding posts.

Are you being serious? It's hard to tell, but the binding posts are not a problem as long as they are well made, gripping the wire tightly to make a good contact.

The guy who makes the copper binding posts has loads of respect in the hifi industry .... I have 3 of his components in my hifi system (amp/CDP and Tuner)

suppose that if you have expensive speakers and amp etc and can hear differences in speaker cables and interconnects, the copper binding posts at £200 per pair may be worth looking at ?

some guys spend the same amount of money on speakers as what they spend on cables (from what I have read on this thread).... so these could be a bargain

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Vladimir said:
Wow...

This forum's atmosphere is becoming more and more fascist by the day. I hope I wont get lynched for having an open mind about cable science.

See what you have done now.........*fool*

I am now searching my Quantum Mechanics textbooks for explanations as to what happens to the collapsing electromagnetic field in the dielectric that surrounds the conductor when the cable is poorly or inaccurately terminated.

So far I believe that the signal arriving at the speaker exists in all possible quantum states, from the 'exact duplicate' to the 'distorted out of existence' when compared to the signal at source.

It is not until the cable is terminated that the music signal, which exists as a quantum probability wavefront, actually collapses into it's normal state. It is important to maintain the correct timing and phase reletionships at this point as it is only at this point in time that we actually know whether we have a good or a bad cable.

Reference; The Schrodinger Cable Company.

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
How should I spend my £4k? I'd need 18m cable, 10 pairs of binding posts, 10pairs of banana plugs and 10 speaker bridges (unless I biwire). Which of these are most important to replace and what proportion of money for each? Different manufacturers suggest huge improvements at each of these connection points so I need some solid advice from those understanding the importance of each of these elements. How much more do I need to replace 5 mains cables, 2 usb cables and 3 hdmi cables - and do I need to replace some of these connectors - hdmi connectors surely will need replacement? I hope to get a deal for less than £10k if possible to include some isolation products.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Exactly what I told my cable dealer. Listen now Cody, I want my leptons to be exciting, with good odd and even parity variables, more v, a and E and less t and m. I want PRaT and proper P-asymmetry all the way.

He took a box from the shelf and said inside there could be Black & Decker orange extension cord or it could be Tara Labs speaker cable or both at the same time. It will cost me £1500 to find out.

TRENDING THREADS