Gravity 3D blu ray Triple Play £15.50 (SPOILER ALERT)

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
John Duncan said:
I challenge you to find a film which has the best everything - plot, acting, technical prowess - as opposed to one or two of the three.

I'm not suggesting there's such a thing as a perfect film, narratively or otherwise. I'm not even sure of the criteria on which we'd make such a judgement.

John Duncan said:
In other words, if a film is an exceptional technical achievement (but not much story) is it any less 'great' than a film which has an extraordinary screenplay, but is filmed on 16mm?

This depends on subjective evaluations; and we'd be getting into issues of taste construction if we wanted to discuss this in any depth.

I'm perhaps most engaged by films that (in my view at least) say something insightful about the human condition. (This isn't the exclusive terrain of narrative cinema.) In my opinion, Gravity doesn't fit this description.

At the same time, I'm not a taste fascist; and people are perfectly free to enjoy whichever films they please, for whatever reasons they choose.

A

Anonymous

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
I didn't say it was possible, just more likely than Sandra Bullock going through all that she did, and still landing safely on the earth so close to land unharmed.

Though obviously, I can't back this up with statistics.

Let's ruin the film ending for everyone who hasn't seen it, shall we?

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

OneBoxSystem said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
I didn't say it was possible, just more likely than Sandra Bullock going through all that she did, and still landing safely on the earth so close to land unharmed.

Two things.

1. You didn't have to read what I wrote

2. It's Hollywood; all endings are predictable, there was never a chance she'd die, and from what everyone says on here, the story's not great, but it looks good in 3D.

mr malarky

Apr 4, 2009
Visit site
bigboss said:
Surely, the chance of landing on any point on Earth (ignoring the terrains) is exactly the same. :?

Who knows? The earth is a spheroid (rather than a perfect sphere) so the chances of an incoming object that's approaching at a fixed angle (relative to the core) actually hitting the earths surface are arguably not uniform across the planet. In addition, there are variations in the density of the earths crust (and therefore variations in the microgravity at a local level, albeit infinitesimally small), plus variations in the magnetic field which, depending on the nature of the incoming object, may it may not exert an influence on its trajectory and therefore its impact site?

Or maybe I should think less and open another bottle of Merlot instead...

:)

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

mr malarky said:
bigboss said:
Surely, the chance of landing on any point on Earth (ignoring the terrains) is exactly the same. :?

Who knows? The earth is a spheroid (rather than a perfect sphere) so the chances of an incoming object that's approaching at a fixed angle (relative to the core) actually hitting the earths surface are arguably not uniform across the planet. In addition, there are variations in the density of the earths crust (and therefore variations in the microgravity at a local level, albeit infinitesimally small), plus variations in the magnetic field which, depending on the nature of the incoming object, may it may not exert an influence on its trajectory and therefore its impact site?

As I only understood the last sentence, I think that must be the right answer. :)

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
OneBoxSystem said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:

Two things.

2. It's Hollywood; all endings are predictable, there was never a chance she'd die, and from what everyone says on here, the story's not great, but it looks good in 3D.

She doesn't die?

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

BenLaw said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
OneBoxSystem said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:

Two things.

She doesn't die?

Oh yeah, she did die. ;)

John Duncan

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
BenLaw said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
OneBoxSystem said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:

Two things.

She doesn't die?

Oh yeah, she did die. ;)

What're the odds of that, eh?

mr malarky

Apr 4, 2009
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
mr malarky said:
bigboss said:

As I only understood the last sentence, I think that must be the right answer. :)

It usually is on a Friday after a long week! :)

Though I have to say BBB you are now up there in the pantheon of great spoilers, second only to an old colleague of mine many years ago who saw 'Titanic' the day before I did and, when asked if it was any good, replied "oh its great, so sad when he died at the end" - I mean FFS, I already knew the ship sank!! :wall:

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

I can't believe that mr m, that's absolutely awful. You mean you really watched Titanic?? :O

mr malarky

Apr 4, 2009
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
I can't believe that mr m, that's absolutely awful. You mean you really watched Titanic?? :O

What can I say? I was young, naive, and my at-that-time girlfriend was quite fit and wanted to watch it.

I'm not proud, but desire can be a cruel, unforgiving mistress who extracts a heavy price...

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

mr malarky said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:

What can I say? I was young, naive, and my at-that-time girlfriend was quite fit and wanted to watch it.

I'm not proud, but desire can be a cruel, unforgiving mistress who extracts a heavy price...

Without meaning to be at all sexist, I kind of new that a woman would be involved somewhere. You are forgiven. :)

I'm very lucky, my wife hates the things that a lot of women like (and I hate). Robbie Williams, James Blunt, Bon Jovi, Rom-coms, and sh*te like Titanic. :)

mr malarky

Apr 4, 2009
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
mr malarky said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:

Without meaning to be at all sexist, I kind of new that a woman would be involved somewhere. You are forgiven. :)

I'm very lucky, my wife hates the things that a lot of women like (and I hate). Robbie Williams, James Blunt, Bon Jovi, Rom-coms, and sh*te like Titanic. :)

Can't believe I'm about to say this, but here goes; was at Live 8 in Hyde Park and in all fairness, and despite my deeply ingrained scepticism when he came on stage, I have to concede that Robbie did a brilliant job of getting the whole crowd going despite an extremely large, disparate audience and a very patchy sound system.

So there it is, I've publicly praised Mr Williams - I'll go and sit in the corner now, and think about what I've done!

(For what its worth, Pink Floyd were awesome that day!!)

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

mr malarky said:
Can't believe I'm about to say this, but here goes; was at Live 8 in Hyde Park and in all fairness, and despite my deeply ingrained scepticism when he came on stage, I have to concede that Robbie did a brilliant job of getting the whole crowd going despite an extremely large, disparate audience and a very patchy sound system.

images

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts