graphic equalisers

ne5

Oct 22, 2015
Visit site
What is the difference between a £40 and a £150 one of these ? What exactly is essential if you buy one ?

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
ne5 said:
What exactly is essential if you buy one ?

That you hit the bypass button. No seriously, what is it you're wanting a graphic EQ to correct in a home environment? Whatever it is you're almost certainly better off putting the same money towards another solution, because with an analogue signal, throwing more circuitry at the problem rarely improves things.

But hey some people just like lots of sliders and spectrum displays and buy a graphic EQ mainly for that...it doesn't make them a criminal...and if that's you, go right ahead.

MajorFubar said:
ne5 said:
What exactly is essential if you buy one ?

That you hit the bypass button. No seriously, what is it you're wanting a graphic EQ to correct in a home environment? Whatever it is you're almost certainly better off putting the same money towards another solution, because with an analogue signal, throwing more circuitry at the problem rarely improves things.

But hey some people just like lots of sliders and spectrum displays and buy a graphic EQ mainly for that...it doesn't make them a criminal...and if that's you, go right ahead.

In certain unusual circumstances it might be criminal not to use one.

Correctly employed it can save a whole world of grief, and nearly always a whole load of money. This money usually goes out for room 'improvements' that don't work and frequent kit changes made to try and get them to work... :)

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
We'll probably have to agree to differ on this one Al. I know from my limited experience in the pro audio arena that getting the room to sound right is the most important thing you can do if you want your hifi to sound at it's best, it's not snake oil or work of fiction. While I broadly understand the principles behind digital room correction in some active speakers, and that it can help in some circumstances, I will remain of the opinion that graphics equalisers in the home are a waste of time that do nothing but send an analogue signal through more destructive circuitry in an attempt to cure a fundamental problem elsewhere, such as with the speakers, their positioning, the room acoustics, and so on.

I realise in most home environments you have to make compromises though, and rarely will you be able to deck out your living room like a studio. Perhaps if the OP can reply with what problems he's hoping the EQ will fix, we can help him further.

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
We'll probably have to agree to differ on this one Al. I know from my limited experience in the pro audio arena that getting the room to sound right is the most important thing you can do if you want your hifi to sound at it's best, it's not snake oil or work of fiction. While I broadly understand the principles behind digital room correction in some active speakers, and that it can help in some circumstances, I will remain of the opinion that graphics equalisers in the home are a waste of time that do nothing but send an analogue signal through more destructive circuitry in an attempt to cure a fundamental problem elsewhere, such as with the speakers, their positioning, the room acoustics, and so on.

I realise in most home environments you have to make compromises though, and rarely will you be able to deck out your living room like a studio. Perhaps if the OP can reply with what problems he's hoping the EQ will fix, we can help him further.

My stepsons are trying to deck out their rooms like recording studios. I've just got to convince them it's supposed to be egg boxes / trays stuck to the walls not pizza boxes stuck to the carpet....

Benedict_Arnold said:
MajorFubar said:

My stepsons are trying to deck out their rooms like recording studios. I've just got to convince them it's supposed to be egg boxes / trays stuck to the walls not pizza boxes stuck to the carpet....

They're doing it all wrong mon, it's meant to be on the ceiling! :)

Whilst I agree with the major my point is that if you have to use room improvements to that degree you obviously have either a: the wrong room or b: the wrong equipment.

Music is what it is all about. Getting a room 'sorted' is possible but pointless in many cases when you come to move rooms, like I have, or even move house. You're left with a load of material that is useless. If your system is that bad it needs room-improvements then your better off just moving rooms or getting equipment that will work sympathetically with that room. Forget spending hundreds on foam wedges as it really is a waste of time in your average domestic environment.

If all else fails just buy a decent pair of headphones, problems sorted.

Rethep

May 2, 2011
Visit site
In the 'hifiworld' it is 'not preferable' to use an eq. to help in room problems. Sometimes room acoustics can't be changed without big (unwanted) changes to the interior. A digital eq. (like the one in iTunes or any other media-player) can be very useful when used with subtlety! It is not 'forbidden' when used with common sense. A dedicated digital room eq. can be very useful, but is very expensive.
3 dB up or down, is no problem! But (i don't use it at the moment) then preferably keep it in one setting, otherwise you keep changing all the time.

Good luck!

mikeszx81

Oct 27, 2015
Visit site
keep all the sliders centered if you have one and watch the dots go up and down thats what mine does but its mostly off and soon be on ebay going cheap if the op wants one technics sh e65

ne5

Oct 22, 2015
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
Lack of any reply would indicate it was nothing but a wind-up post.

why would it be a wind up post ? Are you some sort of oddball ?

Anyway, I'm only thinking about it as a useful treble/bass tweaking device, we all have a different "ear" and in my case I don't like excessive bass and its infinitely more preferable to multiple changes of amplifier or anything else that slighly effects the sound !!!

abacus

Room acoustics first as much as you are allowed, then go for a graphic EQ to help balance the remaining problems. (There standard in most Home Cinema amps, and are a standard fitment in the pro world for getting the sound right at concerts)

Best to have a look in pro music magazines rather than Hi Fi magazines which have little idea of what real music sounds like.

Hope this helps

Bill

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
ne5 said:
why would it be a wind up post ? Are you some sort of oddball ?

I'm sorry, I didn't spot the declaration in your signature saying you definitely aren't one of the many tossers who join here purely to ask a couple of contenous questions in the hope of sparking a war then are never seen again.

You can take or ignore my recommendation all you wish but I stand by my opinion that adding more analogue circuitry in the audio chain rarely makes improvements and if possible you would be better off trying to find out why the sound is not as you like it. Such as repositioning the speakers if that's at all possible, or change your seating position. In short find out why you don't like the sound, not try to fix it with an analogue signal processor.

andyjm

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
You can take or ignore my recommendation all you wish but I stand by my opinion that adding more analogue circuitry in the audio chain rarely makes improvements and if possible you would be better off trying to find out why the sound is not as you like it. Such as repositioning the speakers if that's at all possible, or change your seating position. In short find out why you don't like the sound, not try to fix it with an analogue signal processor.

Major, the world has moved on. These days the majority of graphic equalizers use DSP and operate in the digital domain.

Rethep

May 2, 2011
Visit site
andyjm said:
MajorFubar said:

Major, the world has moved on. These days the majority of graphic equalizers use DSP and operate in the digital domain.

Digital eq, just as i suggested! But keep 'corrections' in the 3dB (preferably) to max 6 dB margin.

paulkebab

Dec 26, 2014
Visit site
to use one if need be, you can't go knocking walls down and buying Persian carpets in a desperate attempt to mould your environment into something where your kit works, whatever the purists say. Use with care and you should get great results from a good graphic equaliser with minimal outlay. I'm extremely fortunate to have a room that for reasons unknown to me just 'works'.

I'd snap that Technics one #10 up today!

Jota180

May 14, 2010
Visit site
andyjm said:
MajorFubar said:

The poor old major is still stuck in the victorian era.

A good graphic equaliser is a viable option.

tonky

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
The Major has a viable point. Having to use a graphic equalizer seems to indicate that there is some discontent in the overall sound. Best to get it right first time (good home demos etc) than have to adjust things afterwards with a GE . (INMHO of course)

wiggy

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
andyjm said:
MajorFubar said:

I didn't think we were taking digital EQ, but even if we are, I still think my advice still largely stands.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Jota180 said:
The poor old major is still stuck in the victorian era.

A good graphic equaliser is a viable option.

No the poor old major was taught to try to get it right first time, not f#ck it we'll just shove any old speakers anywhere, one up against the wall, one in the open, hey no let's dangle one from the ceiling and stick the other under the sofa, it's ok we can fix it all with digital EQ afterwards. That's the ultimate upshot of what's being implied here, and it's utter rubbish. The fundaments haven't changed about trying to get your listening environment right.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts