Jan 1, 2024
Visit site
Hi Everyone,

After more than 40 years use my NAD 3020e has developed an annoying fault - the sound in one channel gets fuzzy after a few minutes of use. Does anyone know what might cause this and whether it's fixable?

Thanks!

Gray

Does anyone know what might cause this and whether it's fixable?
100% fixable.
I would bet money (and I'm not a gambler) on the fact that it will be fixable for the cost of a can of 'Servisol Super 10'.
Isolate from mains.
Remove cover.
Spray inside all signal switches and rotary controls.
Turn all rotaries up / down and operate all switches several times.

'Repaired'. (I think you'll find it will be). Call it a service if you like - because you'd get little more than that as part of an actual 'service' 👍.

In the (unlikely) event of no cure....it's cost you under a tenner - and you've still got the can (which lasts for years - I've been using one for decades).

nads

I had an issue with my 3031 that was just the volume pot needing a clean.
who can check and fix yours I don’t know but if you do Facebook there is a NAD group that might point you in the right direction.

i would get it fixed.

Gray

I see that £158 would get him a repair and some contact cleaning spray.
But the point is, the <£10 can of spray is very likely all he will need to perfectly rectify his issue.

Here's a quote from the above link.....it describes 'in particular' what you get for your money:

'in particular all controls (tone, volume, switches etc) are all carefully cleaned and lubricated to return them to a serviceable noise and crackle free condition and treated to deter future deterioration'.

And how will they do the above?.......with a can of Servisol Super 10.
(Maybe with an equivalent spray, but there's nothing better).

Jan 1, 2024
Visit site
I see that £158 would get him a repair and some contact cleaning spray.
But the point is, the <£10 can of spray is very likely all he will need to perfectly rectify his issue.

Here's a quote from the above link.....it describes 'in particular' what you get for your money:

'in particular all controls (tone, volume, switches etc) are all carefully cleaned and lubricated to return them to a serviceable noise and crackle free condition and treated to deter future deterioration'.

And how will they do the above?.......with a can of Servisol Super 10.
(Maybe with an equivalent spray, but there's nothing better).
I'm going to try the spray.

A now-vanished reply from "gasolin" told me that my amp was really only 30–35 years old ... odd, as I am very sure that I bought it in September 1981 with th proceeds from a summer job ...

Dom

Good luck to you, sir, but considering its 40 years old maybe a service should be on the cards?
I know its expensive but it will be as good as new afterward's and you'll have piece of mind.

Jan 1, 2024
Visit site
Good luck to you, sir, but considering its 40 years old maybe a service should be on the cards?
I know its expensive but it will be as good as new afterward's and you'll have piece of mind.
Hi Dom, I live in northern Queensland ... not sure if a service is that easy here. of course, if the spray doesn't work, I'll see if I can find someone locally.

Gray

I'm going to try the spray.
As any (honest) service engineer will tell you, that is effectively your 'service'.

Just make sure you get inside the switches and rotaries to ensure that all contacts get hit by the spray.
I'm confident your problem will be no more.
Keep hold of the can as your amp might need someone to 'service' it again in 2064 (you probably think I'm joking).

Let us know how you get on.

Jan 1, 2024
Visit site
As any (honest) service engineer will tell you, that is effectively your 'service'.

Just make sure you get inside the switches and rotaries to ensure that all contacts get hit by the spray.
I'm confident your problem will be no more.
Keep hold of the can as your amp might need someone to 'service' it again in 2064 (you probably think I'm joking).

Let us know how you get on.
Will do. The amp might still be functional in 2064, but I doubt that I will.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts