Granite plinth for subwoofer!

A

Anonymous

Hi Pete,

Some people swear by them but I think they are more intended for downward firing subs where as your 610 is forward firing.

I don't even use spikes as I feel that a sub box should be sufficiently rigid on it's own and I have heard that with spikes can cause problems - if anyone else knows more then feel free to correct me.

Regards.

A

Anonymous

I got more detail out of my REL Quake by putting foam under the downward firing driver and by stacking a lot of heavy slate on top of it. I think the Quake suffers from it's wee size and needs a bit of extra assistance from gravity to make it sound good.

A

Anonymous

These sorts of isolation supports tend to be designed for floors which transmit and resonate vibrations from the sub i.e. wooden floors.

With a carpeted concrete floor I think you might find the improvements from nil to slight.

PIPPI

Aug 25, 2008
Visit site
Spikes on a concrete floor is bad news. You need rubber feet for concrete and spikes for wooden flooring. The spikes will sit on the concrete floor and can sometimes resonate (sounds like a rattle) when the sub gets going.

d4v3pum4

Nov 15, 2008
Visit site
A granite chopping board from Asda/Tesco would be a good bit cheaper. I've read of people using them on other forums. Do a google and it should turn up.

A

Anonymous

Pete,

I have just purchased the ASW610. I am using the supplied spikes and are happy with them. I still have the supplied rubber feet. They are yours for free if you want them. Maybe give them a try before shelling out on the plinth? BTW I asked a similar question a while ago regarding shielding noise from the sub from my neighbours downstairs (I live in a flat) and a kind man from the WHF team suggested a foam mat. Can't remember the site, but that may be another option open to you!!

A

Anonymous

PIPPI:Spikes on a concrete floor is bad news. You need rubber feet for concrete and spikes for wooden flooring. The spikes will sit on the concrete floor and can sometimes resonate (sounds like a rattle) when the sub gets going.

Does the same apply to large floor standing front speakers, spiked, with ceramic tiles on carpet?

Read somewhere that tiles are give a cleaner base.

Mr Steve

Oct 24, 2007
Visit site
I have used granite plinths under both my floorstanders and sub, but the floor is laminate wood and (although i didn't test) I'm sure it would resonate horribly if i placed the speakers directly on the floor which floats on top of a damp proof layer and light foam underlay.

I still use the speaker spikes onto the granite, but drilled small indentations (1-2 mm) where the spikes are placed to properly locate them and prevent slippage. Put masking tape on the granite, place speakers where you want them. Apply a bit of downward pressure and the spikes mark their location in the tape. Simply drill, using a masonary or glass bit (no impact or happer drills), without removing the tape first and your indents are perfectly placed. Remove tape, place speakers and ensure spikes are properly leveled.

Downward firing sub placed directly on the granite.

I am quire happy with the tight, clean, sound

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Mr Steve:
I have used granite plinths under both my floorstanders and sub, but the floor is laminate wood and (although i didn't test) I'm sure it would resonate horribly if i placed the speakers directly on the floor which floats on top of a damp proof layer and light foam underlay.

I still use the speaker spikes onto the granite, but drilled small indentations (1-2 mm) where the spikes are placed to properly locate them and prevent slippage. Put masking tape on the granite, place speakers where you want them. Apply a bit of downward pressure and the spikes mark their location in the tape. Simply drill, using a masonary or glass bit (no impact or happer drills), without removing the tape first and your indents are perfectly placed. Remove tape, place speakers and ensure spikes are properly leveled.

I use granite plynths under my floorstanders but my sub weighs 25kg and I don't get any vibration or problems from it on my carpet.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
jazzead:BTW I asked a similar question a while ago regarding shielding noise from the sub from my neighbours downstairs (I live in a flat) and a kind man from the WHF team suggested a foam mat. Can't remember the site, but that may be another option open to you!!

This one? This sub isolation is also available, specifically for a sub.

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
i have bought a set from rsacoustics and live local so went to collect - really nice guy - bought them for my old floorstanders - now being used with new speakers so kind of thing you only buy once and keep upgrading kit to go on them - however i need a new set as my stands are now 5cm bigger than the granote block - nice piece of polished granite and does the job - i added mine as my lounge is above a car port so just to isolate them a little more from the floor. Have to say good results everytinhg firmed up nicely

A

Anonymous

£100.

Go and buy yourself off EBay that BT Mains conditioning unit, you can run your Sub off that. It will transform the Sub giving tight, controlled bass with detail you will have never heard before.

And you will get lots of change out of 100 quid.

A

Anonymous

Cheers guys, Thanks for all your help and advice, i'm in conversation with Chris at rs now,

he's gonna sort me out a much cheaper piece to try!

Trevor79, i'm already using a Clearer Alpha 65cm with watgate 320i and 2 x super supressors connected to a QED Qunduit 6 way, with a QED signature sub cable, i think the BT option will have to wait a while but cheers buddy,

i've also had a 12mm piece of glass cut to size to sit on top of the sub just to protect the wood from the kids!

the things we do for our kit eh!

A

Anonymous

Mr Steve:

Mr Steve, could you post a link to where I can get some Granite plinths?

A

Anonymous

You can get granite chopping boards from Tesco instore or online at Tesco Direct and very cheap (about a tenner), that is what I did. If your sub is a beast then put two together.

Mr Steve

Oct 24, 2007
Visit site
Hi Del

Got mine cut to custom size here in Johannesburg (South Africa) at here. Had to visit them personally as they don't seem to be set up for web based sales. If you are UK based, im not sure you will want to ship granite around - probably cost you plenty £'s.

The suggestion of a granite cutting board or three is almost certainly the most cost effective way to do it, you will (presumably) want to match up the granite if taking more than one. Here in SA a good place to find granite cutting boards cheaply is at the House & Home or Home Improvement type expo's where they typically have a stock of various types of stone on hand that they are flogging.

A thing to bear in mind is that if i was doing it again i would get the plinths slightly over-sized (say speaker size plus and extra 5-7cm all round) so that any new speakers would be likely to fit without problems.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Steve

A

Anonymous

Paulthefilmfan:You can get granite chopping boards from Tesco instore or online at Tesco Direct and very cheap (about a tenner), that is what I did. If your sub is a beast then put two together.Many thanks, I shall give it a try.

A

Anonymous

Mr Steve:
Hi Del

Got mine cut to custom size here in Johannesburg (South Africa) at here. Had to visit them personally as they don't seem to be set up for web based sales. If you are UK based, im not sure you will want to ship granite around - probably cost you plenty £'s.

The suggestion of a granite cutting board or three is almost certainly the most cost effective way to do it, you will (presumably) want to match up the granite if taking more than one. Here in SA a good place to find granite cutting boards cheaply is at the House & Home or Home Improvement type expo's where they typically have a stock of various types of stone on hand that they are flogging.

A thing to bear in mind is that if i was doing it again i would get the plinths slightly over-sized (say speaker size plus and extra 5-7cm all round) so that any new speakers would be likely to fit without problems.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Steve

Thanks, I was interested in your post as my flooring is much the same as yours, and since I've invested in some mains products the bass on my system has improved but I haven't been happy with the overal sound, what you said hit home realy and what has been anoying me I think is resonance in the floor, I think plinths are the next step forward, One thing I'm not sure of is do you place the Granite in contact to the floor or do you fit rubber feet underneath?
Thanks for the tip.

A

Anonymous

hi chaps,

i've ordered a nice oversized piece of granite from chris at rs, hopefully it will be here tomorrow, it's 400 x 400 x 30mm with 10mm alloy feet.

i'll let you all know if it makes any difference at all? still if it doesn't then my good lady will get a very nice and costly chopping board for her birthday! lol,
emotion-2.gif

cheers for all your help, Pete.

Mr Steve

Oct 24, 2007
Visit site
To Del,

The granite i got was only polished on top and sides, so to protect the floors i used contact adhesive and a piece of felt on the bottom, then placed the plinth directly on the floor. Seeing the plinths are ñ 30mm thick and going on 15 - 20kg each (granite is heavy!), they are not going to resonate too easily so i didn't bother with trying to isolate them further with rubber feet, squash balls (half or whole) etc.

If i am playing loud enough to make the granite reverberate, then my ears will be doing the same as well
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

I bought one from Ebay and it improves the bass slam enormously.

A

Anonymous

Why do some subs have spikes, some feet and some nothing at all? My M&K sub doesn't have anything and just sits on the carpet.

A

Anonymous

So after reading the posts above, if i where to buy a granite chopping board http://direct.asda.com/Granite-Chopping-Board/001437037,default,pd.html, put blu tac feet on it (to protect the floor and isolate) and then blu tac feet under my m&k sub (it doesnt have spikes or feet) then that would improve the bass no end (i have laminate flooring). All for a tenner!

Im assuming there would be an improvement with my floor standers also? espcially as mine are bottom proted?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts