Focal 816W SE vs Monitor Audio RX6/8... are these comparable?

Oliverswing77

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
Hi everyone, new to the forum ;)

I'm very close to pull the trigger on some Focal 816W SE which would cost me £900 but then would have to get the centre as well which would be another £400 so all in we're talking of £1300 approx. The Focals were previously in the £1k-£1.5k range while the RX6 have always been just under £1k so originally there was quite a bit of a price difference there. I've heard that the RX6 is an excellent value speaker so I was wondering if these two models are comparable? I'm saying this because I would pay for both fronts and centre from the RX line for nearly the same price I will be paying for the Focals floorstanders alone. I can't audition both so if anyone can give me an opinion on whether the Focals are worth the extra outlay, due to being in a different league of course, it would really help me clearing up the mess that is my head right now.

Also there are some RX8 and respective centre on some classifieds in another forum which hopefully could be had for around the £900 mark but the thing is, my room is only 4m x 3m big and is quite soft furnished and crammed with stuff so I'm worried that they would sound too boomy in such space. If not would (and once again) it be a clever thing to save £400 and put it towards the amp which I should be getting a couple of weeks later after purchasing the speakers?

I also heard that they're 4ohm speakers and I would be using a Denon AVR 1911 to drive them until the new amp arrives.

I'm upgrading from the Monitor Audio BX5 package and I probably gonna be using them more for movies and gaming but also
some music. The receiver I'll be getting is the Marantz SR7005.

Thanks in advance :grin:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts