Graham Slee Novo worth the extra?

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Hello Guys

I am tossing up between the Project Head Box II or the Graham Slee Novo Headphone amp - it will be for my PC - mostly for gaming, but also some music listening. I only use Headphones so its for all PC sound

There is £120 difference in the price and the Headbox is rated to have much more power by the specs.

I have been listening to the Head box quite a bit - it makes a massive improvement over even a very good PC sound card output.

Its way more musical and it opens up the soundstage loads - however sometimes it sounds like it needs a bit more composure and control - but its still excelling in both of these areas compared to the output from the good souncard.

Will the Novo be £120 better?

The Novo is known as "a power house" froma few sites and yet is rated at lower power than the Head Box?

Headbox 330mW/30ohms, 60mW/300ohms

Novo Output: 150mW rms into 32 Ohms, 40mW rms into 600 Ohms

I will be using Sennheiser 558 Headphones with it - coming off a Auzentech Forte Souncard.

Has anyone gone from one to other or had a good listen / test.

I am most worried that I would spend the £120 more, it not be as powerful and also have an analytical sound which on PC based sound /music (not always the greatest quality) I dont think is a great thing.

Any help thoughts?

I ap[preciate it may seem overkill, but I love great sound

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
YES !!!!!

just bought one - its very early days but first impressions are extremely impressive.

its advertised as a power amp for headphones and thats exactly how is sounds to me - a powerful, but smooth sound, with lots of detail but presented nicely - not forced at you.

You can just keep turning up the power and the sound just keeps getting better - like a good power amp will.

Dont be thinking its not musical because thats its strongest point!!

nowhere near run in yet about 380 hours to go - but very happy so far.

:bounce:

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
I'm glad it worked out....It's always good when you go for the dearer product, and it turns out to be the right decision.

Enjoy

Cno

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Is gettign better all the time - very transparant sound - its actually amazing the sound you cna get from a decent set of cans and a good amp.

Using Foobar 2000 and Wasapi (just started using these) its quite amazing the results you can get from a modest outlay!!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts